Solo: A Star Wars Story: Young Han Plays It Safe (2018)

I believe that means BB-8 was cloned using frog DNA.

So far, there’s only been a few “female” droids in the Star Wars movies. The most notable are TC-14, the silver C3-PO alike in the very beginning of The Phantom Menace, which was actually voiced by a dude, and “FLO” the waitress droid in the diner scene of Attack of the Clones.

Outside of that, all the other “female” droids are background characters with zero lines, or stuff from the animated series or non-canon stuff.

But yeah, it is weird. They have “male” and “female” droid programming in Star Wars because reasons.

Sure, I get that. But the concept of gender and droids still strikes me as an odd one. Like they are robots, assembled. ‘male’ and ‘female’ have no biological meaning. It’s just one of those things that strikes me as incredibly silly to be a thing.

I just assume that the existing “female” droids were designated as such because they’re written with even less depth or character than the other droids.

I remain convinced that Carrie Fisher is the only reason Leia is the fantastic character she is. I bet Natalie Portman still has PTSD.

I think it essentially comes down to determining who voices the characters. (Although the whole TC-14 thing is pretty weird.) Kids like to think in terms of gender with regards to the droids, I think. Fro example, all my friends as a kid just assumed R2-D2 was a male.

[quote=“Telefrog, post:45, topic:126606, full:true”]For example, all my friends as a kid just assumed R2-D2 was a male.
[/quote]
Understandably!

I’m imagining a distinctly feminine robot like the one from Metropolis, though that was a bit different since there was an actual woman in that costume and I’m guessing this one will be CGI.

Its funny that in all these years. seeing that movie so many times, I don’t recall ever thinking of that scene as phallic at all.

obligatory.

Ugh, that’s even worse. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is incredibly expressive. There’s an undeniable thrill when she looks at you in Fleabag and shares a private moment. The intimacy of that series is staggering, and it’s largely because of Waller-Bridge as an actress. The only thing worse than putting her head on a gungan body, or whatever, is hiding her completely behind some dopey CG droid.

Fuck Star Wars Standalones!

-Tom

Hey, Tom. Can you believe that I had to defend my assertion that she is sexy in my Fleabag thread?

Wait, there’s a Fleabag thread?

-Tom

Cast photo:

Hey I didn’t know Donald Glover and Woody Harrelson were in this! How did I miss that?

I knew Donald Glover, but not Woody. Donald is playing Lando, I believe.

Nah Woody is playing Lando.

— Alan

Actually, if you give him a tiny metal hat and told him to act like more machine than man --lobotomized, in a sense – I could see Woody pulling off Lobot.

Spoilers!

Oh you!