Solo: A Star Wars Story: Young Han Plays It Safe (2018)

Be careful not to choke on your artistic visions, director.

I’ve got a bad feeling about this.

Never tell me the odds!

Gone With the Wind is probably the most famous example of a movie that switched directors mid-shooting and still came out good. George Cukor was fired about three weeks into filming and Victor Fleming took over. Fleming then left a few weeks later due to “exhaustion” and Sam Wood came in to handle the movie while Fleming recuperated. Fleming came back after two weeks and finished out the picture. During the same time, cinematographer Lee Garmes was replaced with Ernest Haller. Throughout it all, producer David O. Selznick pretty much ran the set, so he’s actually credited by most for the outcome.

In this case, the hope is that Kathleen Kennedy and Lawrence Kasdan have kept a tight enough rein on things that the directorial change won’t upset the production too much.

Huh, clearly I haven’t been paying attention because I thought Kasdan was just a writer - that “just” isn’t meant as a diminution of the role of writer, but rather that he didn’t have any other responsibilities.

Also, I’ve always held him up as a kind of storytelling leg me since he wrote the screenplays for two of my all-time favorites, Empire and Silverado. But IMDb also tells me he wrote the screenplay for Dreamcatcher. Guess nobody bats a thousand.

Technically, he is the writer for the Han Solo movie, but he’s got Kennedy’s backing and this is his baby. It’s apparently a story he’s been wanting to tell since Empire.

Not a change in directors but there’s the well known history of the WW Z movie where they scrapped the entire third act to reshoot and it turned out I’d say ok at least.

Every movie these days has reshoots. Studios budget for it, and stars leave room in their schedules. But yanking the director when almost all the shooting is in the can is a lot rarer.

Right - the end result is unusual, but Disney’s behavior is identical to the very last movie, so it’s not unprecedented - it should be expected at this point. The difference is, unlike Edwards, these guys felt they had enough of a reputation that they could endure the situation and probably felt they had a better chance of getting their way without Disney pulling the trigger.

The exact same situation also happened with Edgar Wright on Ant-man, except earlier in production. Disney is VERY hands on.

Lord and Miller shot first!

Disney fired first though.

Isn’t freewheeling improvisation how Harrison Ford made Han Solo who he is?!

“I know”

Definately part of his oeuvre.

THR is calling it for Ron Howard.

Oh man, this could be great!

Han Solo: She’s the ship that made the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs!

Narrator: In fact, she hadn’t.

I laughed so fucking hard at this everyone around me thinks I’m crazy. It didn’t help I read the lines in Ford and then Howard’s voices. That was fucking great. LIKE.

Harrison Ford is not interested in movies anymore, or maybe is me.

THR with more.

[quote]
Matters were coming to a head in May as the production moved from London to the Canary Islands. Lucasfilm replaced editor Chris Dickens (Macbeth) with Oscar-winner Pietro Scalia, a veteran of Ridley Scott films including Alien: Covenant and The Martian. And, not entirely satisfied with the performance that the directors were eliciting from Rules Don’t Apply star Alden Ehrenreich, Lucasfilm decided to bring in an acting coach. (Hiring a coach is not unusual; hiring one that late in production is.) Lord and Miller suggested writer-director Maggie Kiley, who worked with them on 21 Jump Street.[/quote]

[quote]
There are some in the industry who see an emerging pattern suggesting that Kennedy’s appetite for creative license and risk-taking will have to be curbed. Josh Trank was dismissed from the second Star Wars stand-alone film before he even started based on problems with Fantastic Four; Edwards, who conceived of Rogue One as a dark war film, was shunted aside; and now this. For all the talk of hiring filmmakers with their own vision, observers say Kennedy and Disney may be learning that the franchise is defined by a particular set of parameters. “All of the films have been ‘troubled,’" says a top executive at a rival studio. “J.J. [Abrams] was powerful enough to push back on an unrealistic start date [for the first movie] but that was a tug of war. The last one was reshot by Tony [Gilroy] for months and now this? This is a systemic problem.”

But an insider argues that Rian Johnson (Looper) shot Star Wars: The Last Jedi, set for release in December, seamlessly, proving that the right director can execute without major interference from Lucasfilm. The search for new and interesting filmmakers will continue and for many, perhaps, the siren call of Star Wars will be impossible to resist.[/quote]

Ruefully: Would that it’were so simple.