Solo: A Star Wars Story: Young Han Plays It Safe (2018)

This new kid sounds like a disaster. Han Solo isn’t Shakespeare. You just need to be a charming, scruffy-looking scoundrel. How they never went with Chris Pratt is beyond me. I suppose Pratt can be the new Indy.

Or we could make up new stories and characters and make movies about them.

I know, I know, I’m a crazy person.

Who the fuck would want that?

(Says the dumb bastard who refuses to run pre-made settings for RPGs because he hates having free time)

Hey we (mostly) got that in Rogue One. And that worked pretty well.

Also put me on the ‘I didn’t want this’ bus. Especially since I’m sure they’ll do at least half a dozen things I absolutely hate.

Die Communisten, natuerlich.

I ever tell you about the time I ran a whole “invasion of the Land That Happens Coincidentally To Share A Map With The Two Rivers From Wheel Of Time” bit for AD&D? Good times. Had like three sessions of prep with minor adventures getting things ready, setting traps and reinforcing positions and such, then ran a capstone of orcish invasion where they came in with X thousand bad guys, lost some here and there, sent forces yonder, and ultimately of course had to be fought off by the heroes when whatever was left got to the foozle they were protecting? Undoubtedly the best thing I ever ran.

Also, Star Wars will probably be fine, nerds. It’s not like Disney can cock it up half as bad as Lucas. This forgives much:

bom bom bom bum ba bom, bom ba bom

I’m really looking forward to the part where BabyHan almost says a classic line from the OT, mugs ridiculously at the camera, and the camera hangs onto the moment about 5000% too long. Especially when that part shows up 8 times.

Petty thievery is best thievery. My longest running campaign basically starts with a hard rip-off of the premise of Star Control 2 liberally mixed with the “magic” system from Mass Effect and goes from there. Except it steals the end-game reveal of Star Control 3.

Wait, someone actually played SC3 to the end? I suppose the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Best thing I ever played in was more or less Firefly before there was Firefly. Rickety ship on the outskirts of the law, crew of outcasts, yadda yadda. The whole thing turned into a pop culture send-up where everything was hyper-consumerized and today’s America was a dimly remembered pastoral utopia. So more than a little Futurama as well.

“Wait. Jesus from the Bible, or Jesus from the breakfast cereal?”

Also Space Matlock was a holo show that made an appearance in damn near every session, usually with a relevant aphorism to help the players along. Basically Space Matlock was the B-plot and everything was structured like an '80s sitcom.

Shit got weird, man.

“Space X” is a common trope in Spaceward, Ho! as well. . . including one of our characters, Space Jimmie, who plays Space Folk music and snorts wayyyy too much andromedust (and is a 1-for-1 copy of that player’s character in another campaign, Jimmie, a drugged out folk musician). And yeah, the game is a pure comedy, albeit with some heartfelt moments and deeper plot stuff if the players ever wanna dig into it (and since they more or less said “not Firefly” during game creation, it’s structured a little more like Guardians of the Galaxy, instead).

And damn you all, Star Control 3 was a good game!

I did like the end-game reveal of Star Control 3.

And I agree that it was a good game. It just wasn’t as good as Star Control 2. And the Hyper-Melee mode, while a good engine, with good combat, added those terribly unbalanced ship from the new quadrant. The colony sections of the game turned out to be completely undercooked, but luckily it takes a good portion of the game before you realize that. So if you’re blissfully ignorant, like I was, you can enjoy building colonies all over the place and building up the bases.

I’m actually most salty at Star Control 3 because as a wee lad I bought it thinking it was Star Control 2, which I’d played and gone all @_@ over at a friend’s house.

It was not Star Control 2.

Not for the members of Rogue One!

A tweet from Chris Miller:

If you know your Star Wars, that quote is pretty telling.

He wasn’t interested. In that, or as Nathan Drake. Too bad, as he’d be perfect for both.

I mean, Star Lord is basically Gonzo Han Solo anyway. Seems Prattier to me than Han would be.

Michael K. Williams is out due to scheduling conflicts.

Official title and logo:

Oh I get it, all that free advertising! Pretty clever, Disney!

IMG_0583