Solo: A Star Wars Story: Young Han Plays It Safe (2018)

Yeah, that’s one of the things that keep my expectations on a moderate level. I wonder how much of the final movie is Lord/Miller and how much is Howard. Would have loved to see the pure Lord/Miller version since I enjoyed most of the movies they did in the recent past. Howard, on the other hand … I just checked IMDB, and other than his contribution to Arrested Development, Frost/Nixon is the only directorial work of his I cared about since Apollo 13.

The droid’s name is literally L3-37? Is that on purpose?

Thanks - I didn’t need to turn my monitor upside down for that one.

That trailer made me sad.

That is so stupid.

Danny Glover voice: I’m too old for this shit.

Seems terrible. I would have been all the way on board for young Lando, hold the Solo.

Says the guy who is apparently going to stick us with a geriatric Indiana Jones, again.

Solo trailer recut with Sabotage, just because

Cool, now it’s in the Star Trek 2009 timeline.

New posters for Solo on the left. Album covers from 2015 on the right.

Lawsuit incoming in 3…2…1…

Probably not enough “there” present to make it a trade dress lawsuit (dissimilar products, not quite the exact colors, hardly the first use of letters to frame a photo), but it’s VERY obviously a ripoff/ homage, depending on which side you are on.

Chewie got soul.

There’s also a chance the work is under the same roof, considering how large Disney is these days.

edit - apparently not. Just read the actual article

That looks very much like Olly Moss in style - I wonder if it is? He’s not usually shy about pointing out plagiaism himself though.

I disagree with this part. The hues might differ at the RGB level, but to any casual observer those are identical. Reddish-orange, Blues, and Purples/Pinks. Same off-white backgrounds. This is basically me using the McDonald’s logo changing the M for a W and slapping it on a non-food product. Trade dress rules are strange if this would be allowed.

I’ll grant that’s the weakest of the examples I cited, it’s primarily the brown where they diverged the most, the red, blue, and purple are very very close.

But, the basis of trademark, and specifically trade dress, is the likelihood of confusion in the marketplace. As in, is a buyer going to be confused as to the maker of the product sitting on the shelf. We don’t want someone taking advantage of the good will that someone else spent years building up by selling under a particular mark or dress.

So, will I be confused that this Star Wars movie is from the makers of an obscure (but with admittedly cool covers) various-artists music compilation set? I don’t think anyone could make that case. And there’s no copyright interest there, either, swiping an idea is not the same as swiping the implementation of an idea.

New trailer: