Some nice new PS3 shots

Is there some reason I’d want the PS3 to act as a hub?

When I think “things I want doing extra workload to distribute my network signal”, “my video game console” does not come to mind.

Seems like a really odd added cost for no benefit. I’d much rather just pop $20 for a 4 port hub if I need it than being forced to pay for one inside my console. (Similarly, I can’t for the life of me understand the desire for 2 HDMI ports… what am I going to hook two flat panel HDTVs up side by side to watch the same movie/game? Am I really supposed to expect that the PSP can output two different 1080p, or even 720p, signals to give me dual-headed gaming. Who’s going to use that?)

Damn this thing is ugly!
As for the controller, I still think it is a joke or something, like the Revolution’s controller. (I hope)

Have you actually held it? It looks weird as hell, but some photoshopped pics with hand outlines on an overlay make it look like it could work.[/quote]

who cares! KB and mouse people!

HDMI: one for your TV, one for your DVR, etc?

Why would you want to output a signal from your PS3 to both your TV and your DVR?

I thought the purpose of HDMI was to prevent you from being able to actually do any DVR type stuff to the signal. So I’m not getting why you’d want to output an HDMI signal to anything other than a TV. (Mind you, I’d expect that outputting to a DVR would allow pass-through; maybe that’s impossible with HDMI.)

I just can’t think of any device other than a TV/monitor for which HDMI in is likely to be a concern. So I don’t get the use of two HDMI out ports in any way.

It looks like a 3DO for some reason

Controller, ugly. Console, well, slightly less ugly… I predict a design change on both parts before we see the final unit.

I like the Revolution’s design, too. It’s something you can tuck away alongside something else in your entertainment centre and will look like it belongs there, whereas the XBox 360 and PS3 hog space and call attention to themselves.

Of course, they can probably get away with it only because it’s not going to be a super-mega-powerhouse with zillions of connections and huge heat problems…

I coulda sworn the reason they are going for dual HDMI is so you can run 2 monitors at once in certain games. Like 2 screen gaming either with the same game or like split screen racing.

I dont know anyone in the world that has 2 HDMI HDTVs that are in the same room but ok!

I can’t make up my mind if I like the looks of that box or not. I sorta do and I sorta don’t. Same with the 360 though.

I like the styling on the 360 fine. I’m rather annoyed by the white color choice. I wish it had options like the PS3 displays.

However, the PS3 really does remind me of the current “new” Foreman grills. I’m not a big fan of the odd curves which mean it’s a pain in the ass to place in an entertainment unit (though that could be an intentional design decision to ensure it’s not part of a component stack due to cooling needs).

You think you’ll actually have an option the first month after the PS3’s release? Haw haw, I say!

You think you’ll actually have an option the first month after the PS3’s release? Haw haw, I say![/quote]

Well, okay, there is that. But since I doubt I’ll buy a PS3 the first month of release (because, you know, I didn’t pre-order last week and I don’t like standing in lines) I don’t care.

Though frankly I do expect to start seeing these things come in at least grey/white/black off the bat. If they’re going to be home entertainment hubs they actually need to aesthetically fit in. That’s part of why I think the PS3 design is wonky… even with my spiffy flat panel telivison and a nice silver PSP, the rediculous curves will look nothing like the rest of my AV components. The 360 manages some style without looking totally foreign. Of course, it’s glaringly white which is cool if you’re an IPod because you can accessorize any fashion choice for a day on the town, but is pretty damned stupid if you’re an XBox 360. (Made moreso by the choice of pairing up the white with a glowing-alien green instead of, say, a nice ice blue lighting scheme.)

I actually don’t mind the design of the other two systems, either–I just like the Revolution’s lines the best. It’s very minimalist, and I like the glossy plastic and punchy colors better than the matte, toylike finish on the GameCube.

The 360 is still a huge improvement over the first Xbox, though. Man, that original box was butt-ugly. At least the 360 has some style. The PS3 is nice, too, but it would have looked better without the chunk cut out of the curve for the drive bay. They should have just had the discs pop out of the front edge. It looks about as nice as the PS2, though, overall.

2 HDMI ports still seems excessive, though.

The three little dots on the panel to the left of the drive slot suggest that perhaps that’s some kind of door/lid? I wonder what’s under there.

The more I look at this thing, the more I am certain it has to be fake. It is like a horrible old VCR mixed with a $30 scanner. There is no way they are going to release this monster…please!

My guess would be that’s the place that has the mem stick slots.

Is there some reason I’d want the PS3 to act as a hub?

When I think “things I want doing extra workload to distribute my network signal”, “my video game console” does not come to mind.
[/quote]

To daisy chain multiple PS3s of course! I would imagine it didn’t cost them that much to add that functionality.

Delicious saltwater taffies.