Some terrible 80s movies I revisited

Wow, is that a remaster? I actually like how the CGI looks.

Not sure. The original looks super clean like a video game.

Buckaroo Banzai is a bona fide classic and I will brook no dissent.

Why is that watermelon there?

Space Truckers!

It is both terrible and a classic.

That’s from the 90s!

Oh you’re right. I feel like it feels way more like an 80s movie than a 90s movie though. Although I suppose the Mario Bros Movie was also 90s. heh. Sorry!

I think the effects have aged well, weirdly enough. There’s something abstract about them, likely due to a combination of the tech at the time and the desire to make them look like a video game (but one that at the time would have been considered amazing graphically).

I quite love this movie. Also the Soundtrack is superb. It’s not Wrath of Kahn level, but it’s not far off.

Grig is so great.

“It will be a slaughter!”

“That’s the spirit!”

“No, our slaughter”

“Well. . .”

I paid money to see Space Hunter, Metalstorm, Dungeonmaster, and Ice Pirates. The later three all involved allowance money (I was pretty young when I saw Space Hunter; like 7). Spacehunter was my first 3d movie.

Metalstorm was the worst of the bunch though, for many reasons.

I felt like it was going for an 80s feel, honestly.

Don’t ask.

I’ll tell you later.

Anyway, BB is a stone cold classic and is in no way, shape or form terrible. This is the one and only actual marker of taste.

I don’t think Buckaroo Banzai has aged terribly well in comparison to something like Big Trouble in Little China, though I guess it’s aged better than Tron. Still, I’ll watch BB when it’s on. Kinda have to.

I’m generally fond of B movies, but I’m really a fan of Buckaroo Banzai. I found it hard to follow and kind of boring? I was watching it as a double feature after Flash Gordon though, so maybe I had the wrong expectations.

Well, that’s hardly fair. Big Trouble in Little China is also a classic. I mean, I wouldn’t fight you if you said it was better than Buckaroo Banzai. But it holds up much better than, say, Sword and the Sorcerer, which is terribad.

Me and my memory.

This is a movie that I like so much, but everyone I share it with sort of gets the gag but not so much. Polite chuckles and side eyes is mostly what I get.

I don’t see how it’s unfair to compare movies that share a similar tone and genre and era. I think one has withstood the test of time much better than the other. What’s unfair about that?

well, ok maybe “fair” isn’t the right word. It’s just a super high bar.

I don’t really find their tone very similar. Big Trouble is much broader and more slapstick, as I recall, while BB is much more understated (well, except for John Lithgow, who hams it up for all he is worth). I don’t really have an opinion on how well Big Trouble has “held up,” whatever that means, but I do find BB the superior film.

Well ok, thanks for sharing I guess.

Everyone go watch Return of the Living Dead.