Some things X Rebirth thinks about me that aren't true

Title Some things X Rebirth thinks about me that aren't true
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Game reviews
When November 18, 2013

Egosoft's X games are the last word in open-world space sims by virtue of being the only word in open-world space sims. At least in terms of ones that are still in development. X Rebirth, the latest X game, is a mess..

Read the full article

Ouch. While I'm still able to have fun with the game, a lot of your criticisms are spot on.

When I fired up X:TC again, I let loose a short gasp of joy at the wonderful interface, automation options and crisp atmospheric graphics. I won't be going back for quite a while. I heartily agree with this review.

Amen Brother. Keep preaching the sane word!

Totally agree. Bugs could be fixed, concept flaws - not.
They've totally missed the point making this game an arcade. Even the jump gates are scroller game now - you know you can shoot while jumping? And after exiting blue gates ships you were following just... disappearing.

Excellent review. This says pretty much everything I tried to write a much longer review of on their boards, but in short, snappy soundbites that get really to the heart of this abomination of a game.

Agree in every way. Well written, correctly observed, and properly concluded. Rebirth is a steaming heap of garbage.

I have literally reinstalled Albion Prelude to get away from this awful release and play a proper X game with a highly functional universe and interface.

There is a thread on the official forums, but the data points towards this game never being an X game in concept and most of its development lifetime. I won't get into the nitty grittys, but this was supposed to be an arcade shooter for the consoles under a different franchise. Until Egosoft admits the truth and apologizes to their fanbase, they have lost me as a customer.

When some reviewers - review sites become mainstream and lose their critical edge, its time to bookmark new ones. Bookmarked,

Doesn't surprise me and it won't surprise anyone considering that the controls are literally ported from the console. Very badly ported... No joystick support either? What the f!@#?

Agree with every single point and the overall score. I gave it a 2 on Metacritic, too.

I've disagreed with quite a few of your reviews on this site, but not this time. I was anticipating this game before it even got announced (it was TNBT - the next big thing - on the official site for a while). For me personally, this is the single biggest gaming disappointment of the year; and it's very unlikely to get knocked off that throne anytime soon.

I like that they actually spent some time on the cockpit.

But lack of freelook and padlock is pretty screwed up. Instead they force you to 'admire' their cockpit art by inexplicably locating important displays on a crowded screen to the right of the captain's chair. How about letting us freelook to admire the 'pit, and locate all the menus on the front view screen in a large projected window where we can see all the options at once. Reviewer is correct in stating that the interface elements are incredibly in-cohesive.

I love how in most interface instances the font is tiny..but on the map where a smaller font might help you, you know, see the map .... the font is HUGE.

I feel your pain. I tried to like it. But I lost it after my only transporter, I needed it to make money for 8 bloody marines to progress in the "story" - never mind that I couldn't actually dump these plasma cells that were occupying 80% of its cargo space without editing the XML (!) save file... after that transporter got lost between two zones, not wanting to go back on the highway. I couldn't tell it to do so. The interface is dumbed down horribly, really bad design decisions were made. It is like everything that was good about X was taken away. I wanted to at least build a station before giving my final verdict. But it is nearly impossible to get to that stage because of all the bugs. I guess I'll return in a year or so and try it again. Although I highly doubt that it will be much better concept wise, but I hope it will be playable.

100% spot on review! You said everything I've been feeling and yelling since I bought this giant wad of poo. Hoping to get a Steam refund as we speak. Ticket is open. We'll see.

nailed it ;/
i cant believe egosoft thinks .... X Players wanted this

Word bro. I knew there was something seriously wrong with the game the moment I flew into a station and nothing happened.

Couldn't agree more! This game is pitiful and, speaking as a developer, I'd be ashamed if I'd put this thing out...

So another words, because it doesn't work like the last one did then it sucks. So just create a little icon on your desktop that say X Rebirth and point it to the .exe for X3:TC then you will be all excited. See problem solved.

No it sucks because it doesn't work.

Well done, absolutely nailed it. As an X fan I'm so appalled at this release and have been waiting for some official reviews to come out that support the view that the majority have, to shut up the few who keep rattling on "The game is great", "Give it a chance" etc etc.
You don't need to give the game a chance, it speaks to you in an instant as to whether or not it is worth the time to play, the few who, I have found support this game have a lot of FPS games in the list on steam which in my opinion is a over run genre where games are dumped in your face on mass in an unpolished and mostly flawed, unintelligent form.
This game series was different, the trade and fleet management while cumbersome for some and had a steep learning curve was perfect and did not need changing, especially not in the direction they took. The UI now requires you to go through extra pages to get the control you want and even still you have 1/10th of control over your fleet as you had in previous X games.
The over sexualization in this game is appalling, none of these filthy banners, "Breast Windows", or tight fitting polyester outfits that emphasize the breasts of a geriatric woman was never in the previous X series. Now I'm no prude but if I wanted to see this I would of bought GTA, besides the fact that in X:Rebirth it is clearly not needed and obviously placed in there to garner the appeal for those who are into this sort of look, in an effort to increase sales. What a terrible sellout from a small developer who have always delivered in my mind games for what they should be , games.
I could go on for ever about the terrible frame rates I get on my high end system, the terrible UI, the weak storyline, terrible voice acting, awful NPC's and their animations (one of which seems to squat up and down repeatedly as though it has a bad case of the runs), but what it all sums down to is this. Putting aside the fact that they say this is not "X4", the game as it stands alone, we have been sold is a dupe, it is a god awful piece of crap.
I am as I said an X fan, avid user of their forums although not a frequent poster as I post very little on the internet, but I just have to with this. I am a mixture of angry for being ripped off and extremely sadly disappointed due to being a fan of this series and the long wait for the continued addition of it.