Someone explain Twitch to me

It looks like Twitter to me, which I don’t know a ton about, but maybe he was trying to get around if someone had a naughty-word filter set up?

Seeing f*ck is a lot more annoying than seeing “fuck” IMO. Are we doing a bash script or something what’s going on!??!

Am I that out of touch with today’s music scene? From that list I recognize Barry Gibb, Halestorm, and Lindsey Stirling.

…who?

I know a dozen or so of those. Are you saying you have never stumbled on a video by Die Antwoord? They are… Something different…

Not a single one of their clips I’ve seen is remotely safe for work. Good thing we are all at home I guess?

Halestorm is always fun.

That violinist who started with covers and now plays her own songs and has millions of views on YouTube.

Wait. I got Halestorm confused with someone else…

I suspect you’ve probably heard Puth’s songs a few times and just didn’t recognize him. He had a few very large ones. In fact I should put that in our other topic.

Surprised you’re familiar with Stirling and not Halestorm; the lead was on her (excellent) track Shatter Me

Got you beat! Just onetwo here.

One Republic, because my cousin’s daughter talks about them. I don’t think I’d even recognize their music. Empire of the Sun had a song in a forza I liked.

I recognize a few of them…Bastille had that one hit about Pompeii and then mostly disappeared. Diplo and Die Antwoord I’ve heard of. Pretty sure Joe Jonas is a Jonas Bro. Ellie Goulding had several huuuge pop hits. Everyone’s heard of Mumford and Sons. Biffy Clyro is a terrible Scottish rawk band. Steve Aoki is a huge trance (hack, spit) DJ.

It’s definitely leaning towards the C-list, but there’s a few well-known people there.

Here are a few of the songs people might know from some of these people. Obviously I know you all can Google them. Even if you don’t listen to the radio, you would’ve heard some of these in movies, tvs and commercials, and these are some of their better known songs, although some of these are groups and only one of them is performing for this.

(Radio mix version)

(Paul Walker Song)

fifty shades of grey song

You are right. I know that one. Thanks for the reminder.

I must have skimmed the list too quickly. I do recognize these two!

The Ellie Goulding song I remember was this one:

Some huge numbers for most streaming services in 1Q20.

Wow I had no idea Twitch had 3x more hours viewed than YouTube.

I think the comparison is very specific to game streaming services, and not Youtube as a whole. I mean, Twitch is way more of a “leave it running in the background while you do shit” service than fairly self-contained Youtube videos, but IIRC, by metrics, Youtube still dwarfs most other services to an absurd degree. Just their Gaming arm is still pretty modest.

One of the many reasons I switched solely to streaming on Twitch, someone said, “Wow, I didn’t even know YouTube did streaming.”