Someone explain Twitch to me

Oh bullshit -.-

Sometimes 3rd party apps, like Twitchy on the Apple TV, is superior to the official app. I just hope they don’t do something stupid and remove the Twitch API.

At the moment I posted this Ninja has 489k viewers.

It just keeps escalating. I wonder what the next big game and streamer will be.

I wonder how the dollar here looks like.

Do it make sense if you are somebody like ninja to hire a b-celebrity to play with you, to push the subscriptions/views higuer?

What level of celebrity you must be (A,B,C,D) that it make $$$ sense to stream yourself playing videogames?

The Team:
it was Ninka, Travis Scott and Juju with technical help from Kim Dotcom.

There was a fun mini-invitational yesterday afternoon among a number of prominent streamers for Darwin Project

What makes the game quite interesting is the fact that there is a Director that impacts 10 other contestants. But wait there’s more!!! they can take polls of the twitch/mixer viewers in how/what actions they want to take. All making a pretty entertaining game to watch.

Not sure how entertaining it would be to play, unless EVERYONE had a mic - and people weren’t inherently dicks when behind a computer screen, but it’s totally enjoyable to watch professional streamers play it!!

When Alexa Dox’es you.

“ALEXA WHAT IS MY CURRENT LOCATION?”

i like watching gameplay and cinematics. i don’t know how anyone puts up with the insufferable player commentary.

Why is he shirtless?

Booby streamer, duh

Thread title: “Someone explain Twitch to me”

Thread post: Shirtless young chubby dude moving around his kitchen while people fuck around with him online… for money. Also Hitler stuff. Also someone doxes him for giggles.

Thread conclusion: It’s 4chan done live.

I watch a bunch of twitch while I’m working. There’s one twitch streamer who I really like watching, as I think he has a great personality. He streams a game I like to play and is an ex-pro at the game, and some of his streams are “educational” streams that teach you how to think about how to play. On top of that, he’s an ex eco-major, and has a very self effacing attitude, and reacts well to situations that might make someone else pull their hair out with frustration.

That said, I haven’t run across many people like him, so if he’s not streaming, and there isn’t an esports game on that I really want to watch, I don’t watch twitch…

All this talking him up… yet you don’t name drop him!

It’s splitting hairs, but he’s a youtube streamer, not a twitch streamer. I had to look at his channel more as I was perplexed if that was just a one time gag or what… Evidently the TTS speech thing is his “hook” He goes to public places with a speaker, and allows people to donate to him money to say anything out loud.

I didn’t really want to advertise, but OK…

The guy I like is Scarra. He’s an ex League of Legends pro. He’s not only a twitch streamer, but he’s trying to break into being more of a…producer? He’s got a house full of “content creators” under the name “Offline TV”, and it looks like that income alone is keeping them going full time. He talks pretty often at the end of the stream about the business, or some “test charities” he’s working on, like giving a player he really likes a fullly decked out PC so they can stream, then hopefully that new streamer is successful and can “pass it on” by buying someone else a PC, etc. He also hosts a “talk show” for the community almost every week that brings in other pros from the game, or parts of the design team from Riot to talk about either game design or upcoming balance changes, etc. He also does a patch breakdown/analysis as new patches are released, to explain what’s changing in the game (and patches happen every other week, so that’s useful if you feel like being competitive.)

He seems like the kind of guy who’d fit in well here.

Obligatory chunk of an interview where he utters a line that becomes a huge meme for competitive gaming (“Up until they lose the game…they’re winning”)

Scarra is a nice dude

One of the few people on twitch that I’d ever want to watch, but he’s genuinely funny and a smart guy.

I can’t imagine sticking with it for years with no viewers. D:

I hate to say it but I kind of cringe when people want to get into streaming, YouTube, or even indie game development. There’s just too much of it now.

I get that it’s a passion but man…

Getting into it with hopes of making money, or making it a career, yeah that’s kind of nuts. But as the article points out there’s plenty of people that stream just because they enjoy it. Those are the ones I like best.