Someone explain Twitch to me

Well shows that streaming can be a very fickle thing. Still I’m sure Ninja could completely quit today and he’d still easily be a multi millionaire.

That’s what he’s making -not- doing that kind of schedule. Actually, the minimum he could be making, and he’s probably making more than that.

I mean, there’s no way I would ever draw that kind of audience, especially since I hate a lot of popular Twitch culture, so it’s not like I am going to quit my day job or anything.

The article is about how he’s losing his audience by cutting back his hours.

And I dunno, if you’re a charismatic young guy who’s good at videogames and jumps in streaming a brand-new title that takes off like Apex Legends the instant it’s released, it’s totally possible to make quite a lot of money.

Damn I didn’t know Ninja hit 200k. The crazy thing is someone will exceed that with some new game craze that isn’t even out yet.

I had to chuckle at Shroud “revealing” his sub count. It’s right there on his overlay.

Yeah. To a point where he “only” makes more in a month than I do in a year.

These Apex streamers aren’t new though. I think it’s becoming harder and harder to break through as the existing popular streamers just jump ship to the new hot thing.

So you work your butt off for five years while young and bank the money, and then cut back and coast. It’s not a bad plan if you can get to the top of the mountain to begin with.

If you could end up with $3M in the bank after five years, after taxes, you’d make $120k per year in interest at a modest 3%. Most places in the U.S. you can live very well on that.

Yeah, if you’re a guy in his 20s with millions in the bank with the discipline to do that. Which seems unlikely.

Some have it. And if you can do that for five years even if you end up with less in the bank, you can still have a decent income stream after cutting back.

It does seem crazy that he lost 40k in subs just for being gone two days.

Okay, you got me. I’m trying to figure out how $3M a year makes $120k per year at 3%?

Ha ha. Sorry. I was thinking 4%.

What if The Elysium Scenery become true?

Rich people left behind a ecological disaster to live in space, while they continue exploiting the population and the resources of the planet.

What if we are invaded by communist aliens?

What if chemist found a drug that allow religious people to connect directly with god and make miracles while high on the drug?

https://www.citylab.com/design/2018/04/the-unsinkable-dream-of-the-floating-city/559058/

you know there is an audience for everything – EVERYTHING

The problem is you work your butt off for 5 years making $0, then maybe you randomly hit it big.

There’s an interesting dynamic there, I think. It suggests that people subscribe to exactly one streamer at a time, that’s “their guy”. They probably aren’t watching 18 hours a day, but they probably expect that “whenever I go on twitch, he should be streaming”. So, even if people are only watching twitch for like a couple hours a day, the problem is that everybody has a different couple hours, so in aggregate, if you aren’t online all the time, you lose your audience.

It comes across like a weird real-time monetization of TV. Like I want to watch something on TV. If I can’t watch NBC, I’ll watch Fox, because I’m definitely going to watch something. But I only pay for one channel at a time, so as soon as I change the channel from NBC, they lose revenue.

That’s the arts and entertainment industries, really. Writing, acting, painting, etc.

This would seem to exactly match my suspicion that a majority of subscribers for most streamers are now via Amazon Prime accounts (get one subscription per month that you need to manually renew).

Though 40K over 2 days is a lot of flux…implies a rotating “pool” of 600K subscribers over 30 days.

Indeed, but with the internet there’s no barrier between your performance and the audience. No Hollywood power structure pumping up their stars, no snooty galleries refusing to display your work, very low entry costs, nobody and nothing standing in your way. Either people like your stuff or they don’t. It’s very egalitarian in that way.

Livestreaming is still a tough way to earn a living, whether it’s playing videogames or showing your naughty bits. YouTube is much better. Then again, compared to cleaning the grease pit at Burger King, it ain’t so bad.