Someone explain Twitch to me

For certain games it’s a good (IMO even essential) way to improve. If competitive play happens to be your bag.

I’m not saying to ONLY look at high view streamers. But I bet you’re MORE likely to find someone you like taking a “top down” approach than looking at streamers who have the LEAST viewers and working your way up. If you don’t know what to look at, what’s your suggested sorting criteria? Armando, do you just look for someone with a smary-ass title to their stream so you feel at home? Kappa plz? I assume Armando that you’re just doing your best imitation of twitch chat.

If it helps any Telefrog, I don’t think PewDiePie streams league of legends or DOTA [he doesn’t, only “speed runners” whatever that is, and only over a few days, ever], so I wouldn’t run into him. I guess you could read my suggest as “pick any random streaming service, then pick the top rated person on that service, regardless of the type of game they are streaming, and watch it.”, but I find that interpretation of my suggestion to be in terrible faith.

o.O I’m guessing the hipster joke didn’t register there, jim. But, ah, well, there was one, just so you know!

By the way, if you haven’t checked this out, do so.

https://twitter.com/BadLayouts

So terrible.

You can take Geocities out of the internet, but you can’t take the internet out of Geocities.

Hey, I got it.

I was right, you were approximating twitch chat! Copy pasta forever!

One of the streamer I was watching (who happens to be a Riot employee and professional commentator) said the other day “Common Twitch Chat. I know you’re too stupid to say something that dumb. And I mean that as a compliment!”

Since we’re talking general Twitch stuff at this point, I figured I’d share a neat tool I’ve been using. livestreamer lets you connect to streaming services like twitch, and forward the packets to VLC. This does a few things for you. 1) You get to run any enhancements/changes to the picture you want through VLC, including saturation, gamma, etc. 2) You can add buffering to the stream, in case you have any network congestion problems. 3) For some computers, it may be less CPU intensive as it avoids flash plugins.

I’ve got a few batch files set up for people I watch regularly in a folder. I just click a batch file and the whole thing fires up and I’m watching someone’s stream in a nice resized, properly buffered VLC window.

I enjoy watching hot girls in sexy outfits play video games. There was a Playboy model who was a pretty good gamer that used to be on Twitch pretty often. But beyond that I don’t get the appeal. I sometime watch youtube videos of people playing but this is for instructional purposes. But the most popular Twitch games aren’t ones I care about and that also hurt the appeal.

Your life must be completely empty. I envy you.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Surely I am not the only person who has noticed that attractive woman gamers get a lot of viewers.

I watch some hearthstone on Twitch. I’ve learnt quite a bit about good play from it, actually.
Internet card games :)

Strollen - Take a look at LegendaryLea.

I notice, but honestly I just go back to the good players like Trump after a minute or two.

I’ve recently started to watch Lirik, whom my son loves. He plays Arma 3 mods, Counterstrike and other games. He has a constant banter going that’s actually quite fun to follow. Not sure whether I’ll watch him a lot, but he seems OK as background entertainment so far.

Wendelius

Actually I went back and looked (I have not watch twitch in 6 months) and there a lot more top channels that don’t feature attractive woman than do, so my impression is probably off. Just for me I don’t find it interesting, I rather discuss games in forum like this or play them, not watch other play them different strokes.

I can have hearthstone streams playing when I’m, say, ironing clothes.

Far more interesting than TV, really.

Yeah, to each his own, but count me as one who, other than tutorials, has absolute zero interest in watching others play games and listening to their commentary on said game(s). My daughter has tried to get me interested in quite a few, but I am bored beyond tears by all of them. The ones she finds LOL-hilarious might induce a mild chuckle from me, but that is very rare. My time is better spent whittling at my backlog. It’s all about the backlog, man!

One day your hands will be like this:

That day it will be easy to watch somebody play than to play yourself.

That’s a very accurate description of how I feel right now. I’m a programmer/bioinformatics guy, and just pushed a paper out to Cell. The last 3 months have been 14+ hours a day of writing and debugging code and building figures. My hands were feeling pretty wrecked. I haven’t really played a game in 3 months, and now that I have free time I want to (for the most part) still save my hands until they feel good. So not much video gaming, but more watching of twitch and anime.

I’m 53 and starting to feel some stiffness in my fingers on occasion–not enough to stop me from gaming, thank goodness. Sometimes you just can’t muster the energy to start a gaming session, especially if it’s already, say, after 11 pm on a “school night” and you’ve gotta go to work the next day. Or if you’re on lunch and just want to vicariously experience more of a game that you like.

My problem is that my hands feel fine while I’m playing and in the zone. They just feel awful when I stop. :)