Someone explain Twitch to me

Snoop has always been a clout chaser

Someone explain FaZeCLaN to me.

Knowing what little I know streamers, I think “be careful what you ask for” might be appropriate here.

As someone who watches a ton of Twitch, I have no idea who they are or what is happening.

It’s a “gaming lifestyle” collective that started as a Call of Duty and CS:GO clan. They built their reputation on trick shots and their gamer bro speak that created the stereotype of dudes slamming Mt. Dew, high-fiving and chest-bumping while yelling “BRAH!” More recently, they’ve moved into diversifying into clothing, energy drinks, pro esports, and general gamer-centric marketing, but they do maintain a stable of regular streamers.

Apparently, Snoop is now one of their streamers and an investor.

Here’s an official Batman comic featuring FaZe Clan put out by DC:

Next time I see them in QWCTF, I’ll ask them if I can join their clan. After tryouts of course.

Aren’t these the losers who promoted crypto NFT scams to kids too?

Thanks! Definitely the stupidest shit I’ve heard this month.

“Promotes”

LOS ANGELES, CA AND MIAMI, FL (December 7, 2021) - FaZe Clan, the lifestyle and media platform rooted in gaming and youth culture, today announced a multi-year partnership with MoonPay, a leading global crypto payments infrastructure provider giving millions of users quick access to the crypto economy by offering an easy and secure way to buy and sell cryptocurrencies and NFTs. The agreement represents MoonPay’s biggest partnership to date and establishes MoonPay as the official crypto and NFT partner of FaZe Clan.

The FaZe Clan and MoonPay partnership includes a series of content and media that will launch in early 2022. MoonPay will integrate into existing content across the FaZe Clan platform and the two brands will create new original content tailored for the FaZe Clan community. Plans include new original content franchises, creator and talent driven events, and campaigns that tap into fandom across FaZe Clan’s esports teams. FaZe Clan will also utilize MoonPay’s best-in-class platforms and ecosystem for its forthcoming NFT and digital goods initiatives. Leveraging MoonPay’s extensive expertise in crypto, NFTs and security, the partnership will help educate and share knowledge on how to navigate the complexities of the digital world.

Wut? Do people not own computers?

Hey lordkosc,
Based on usage and community feedback, we’ve made the difficult decision to shut down the Twitch Desktop App on April 30th. We believe the best experience for our users is on Twitch.tv and we want to focus our energy on building new features for you there.
You’re getting this email because our data tells us you recently used the app. This mostly means, instead of the desktop app, you can access every bit of Twitch-y goodness you’ve come to expect, fully integrated into the experience on Twitch.tv.
Make sure you throw a bookmark on Twitch.tv for easy access as you grow accustomed to engaging with us there. We hope to continue seeing you around in chat.
Twitch

Why would I install an app on my desktop when I could just click a link in my browser?

The browser is for using the google!

If you’re using Windows 11 you could use the Android app, right?

Twitch has (had) a desktop app?

I too had no idea and I stream to Twitch almost every day.

I think the genesis was from when Twitch bought Curse, which had an app for distributing mods for various games. I used it for WoW back in the day.

It existed before they bought Curse and I’ve always known about and used the desktop app rather than use my browser.

At one point Twitch had aspirations of being a game store, letting streamers promote games and then you click “buy”, then it was going to be Amazon Luna streaming the game so you could instantly drop in and play with the streamer, and then they just kinda forgot about all that stuff, as one does.

I blocked twitch.tv years ago after a brief addiction so I used the app to grab the free games from Twitch Prime every now and then.

This probably belongs to its own thread, but the French government has banned official use of English words in tech like “streamer” or “e-sports”. Use “joueur-animateur en direct” or “jeu video de competition” instead, respectively.

Gotta love them.

(Also notice the Dreamcast in the image of the article. 😲)