Someone explain Twitch to me

You overestimate the competence of people.

Oh god what is he doing to that poor machine??

I have been watching Dark Souls 2 play thrus on youtube lately and have recently noticed the more recent ones are streamed via Twitch and then uploaded to youtube. Until this time I had never heard of Twitch and I have no idea what makes it different from what was out there before.

Oh yea, I am old.

Twitch has a larger community, but it still uses Flash which is problematic for a lot of people.

Trigger warning: Adobe Flash

A larger community than what…Youtube? Or a previous streaming service I was unaware of?

Is Twitch an app or a web site? Log in and bring up your favorites kind of thing?

I don’t think my daughter, who is my technical advisor ( :) ), has done much on Twitch yet. She doesn’t do much gaming unless we a re co-playing something.

Twitch is mostly gaming livestreaming.

Youtube is mostly pre-shot videos or archives of streams.

Twitch has both. At my desktop I fire up the Twitch website an watch a steam on my second monitor. When i’m cooking or doing dishes etc, I fire up the App on my iPad and watch that way.

One guy I am watching do a DS2 NG+ play thru talks about running ads during some of the load screens. Those ads are not shown on youtube so I assume he must edit them out. Are ads a common thing on Twitch. It is a guy with TheMediaCows.

Twitch does a pre-roll add when you first load up a channel, after that it’s up to the individual caster. Most of the ones I watch don’t bother with adds or only roll a couple once an hour or so.

For streaming, Twitch has a much larger community. YouTube just launched their competing Gaming service, which I like a lot more and have moved to exclusively since Twitch annoys me for quite a few reasons, but they don’t have the audience of Twitch as of yet.

It also depends on the popularity of the streamer. If you aren’t a Twitch partner you don’t have the option to run ads.

And, of course, some viewers don’t get ads, since they are in regions that don’t have sufficient ad-fill, since Twitch still sucks at getting advertisers like 5 years in or whatever it’s been.

Anyway, once the VOD hits YT, you’re getting the direct source from the streamer, usually, which doesn’t include any of the ad-rolls. The fancier ones will put up an overlay while ads are running; the really snazzy ones will just video-edit out the ad-covered segments entirely when posting to YT (or use ad-block–that is, block of ads, as opposed to blocking-ads–times as natural breakpoints between separate YT videos).

Twitch Launches Twitch Creative and Marathons Bob Ross

48,000 people watching Bob Ross when I tuned in.

That’s because Bob Ross rocks.

-Todd

Man, that’s gotta be my favorite use of autotune.

That, or Double Rainbow, at least.

I have no idea what chat is doing right now.

Not to derail this thread, but what happened with Bob Ross videos in the last year? You could only get 10-second clips until about a year ago, but now Youtube (and apparently Twitch) seems to have the whole series, with entire episodes. Some legal whatnot on copyright must have happened.

All of those ASMR channels on Youtube may as well check out now, because the Godfather of ASMR is in town.

Twitch chat is still going strong with Bob Ross. All his little tics and habits go surprisingly well with chat spam.

I have to admit I laughed when Bob said “we’re running out of time, but what the heck, I’m going to add a fence” and 100 people spammed YOLO.

I’m easily amused.

I just tuned in to see him say “there’s no limits here”. I feel like I’ve got the core Bob Ross experience here. (Unless he says that every episode).

Also on twtich some guy is streaming himself following along with bob and painting in MSPaint. I think he did a decent job, but chat was not happy.