Someone we know is suing GAF

Seems the folks over at NeoGAF, or as it was once known simply as GAF, have a little community development going on to create some silly game called Dudebro 2. Well they decided to have GAF in this instance stand for Grimoire Assembly Forge. So someone has taken offense to this naming, and no it’s not me :P

The most relevant posts about it.

And yes, some of you newer folks might not know who this is.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore vs NeoGAF: FIGHT!

This is going to be awesome. Any chance we could pull Derek Smart into this?

Look, he’s already warming up:

I don’t see how Grimoire Assemble Forge and Grimoire RPG systems are the same name. Can you really trademark a noun like grimoire so no one else can use it. Or is there a sub brand of Grimoire RPG Systems that is already registerd called Grimoire Assembly Forge.

If this guy is suing just because he doesn’t like anyone else using the word grimoire then he is a complete cock. If there is more to the story than I apologize, but it’s not like one name is Grimiore Systems and the other is Grimiore RPG Systems.

What a doofus. Does Googling grimoire even come up with any results related to him? It’s a common term.

Yeah, but someone should probably notify Bioware, since I believe that Flemeth had something named a grimiore. If using the word grimiore is steping on this guys IP then EA better watch out for their new penpal.

There are almost certainly jurisdictional issues as well. I could only find five registrations for marks including ‘grimoire’ in the US, three of which are dead and the remaining two are obviously unrelated. Good luck getting the US government (or whoever) to extradite the admins and users of GAF to face trial over this!

There’s something particularly surreal about reading these lines back to back:

I will never go away. This will never end. It’s only getting started.

The solution for you is to change the name of your development team.

Wow, didn’t know someone having a similar name was so earth-shattering. He will never go away.

Anyone from the Usenet days of the 90s knows Cleve is simply f’n insane.

Well, that much is true, at least.

Sort of like Grimoire’s development? ZING!

Cleve should get together with that “Edge” guy. Together they can be a juggernaut of frivolous litigation.

This is going to be interesting. Please keep us non GAF users posted!

I love Cleve. The game development world would be a dimmer place without him. I’d hire him to write corporate smacktalk any time.

Do they know about his christmas tree-covered bunker?

This makes me want to start the Grimoire Appreciation Fund, an organization dedicated to supporting vaporware developers.

I didn’t know him before but reading his email posted on GAF makes that crystal clear…

“I have close relatives who are lawyers” is what people say when they get thrown out of restaurants.

Can Cleve afford legal and private investigator fees to chase a Cafepress copyright violation pertaining to a nonexistent product?

Does Cleve even have a job?

He doesn’t stand a hope. You can actually search trade marks on ipaustralia.gov.au.

The only Grimoire trademark that stands, or has ever stood, in Australia is for “GRIMOIRE OF THE RIFT”. In other news “GRIMOIRE SYSTEMS PTY. LTD.” had its Australian Business Number status listed as canceled in 2006 and Cleve seems to have registered grimoiresystems.com.au which requires you have a valid ABN to register… he last modified the whois data for that site on June 17 this year. tsk tsk tsk, Cleve.

All we know is that it’s not as a game developer.

'course if he does finish it, you aren’t worthy enough to play it:

So what you could do is, don’t play my game.

Better yet, PM me your real email address and I will lock you out of the digital distribution system so you couldn’t buy a copy even if you could come up with the cash, which is unlikely.

If you have the names of your friends or anybody even remotely like you, even people who live near you and may have distant kin relations in your family tree, send me all their email addresses and I will lock them out as well.

Grimoire is not junk and it’s not mass market drivel. I don’t want just anybody playing it. If I had my way I’d force anybody as part of credit card registration to take an online IQ exam. Anybody scoring less than 120+ would not be able to purchase the game for any reason, period. I’d send their money back. I cringe at the idea of ordinary dolts and Bell Curve average wreckers putting their greasy, stained hands on a keyboard covered with pro-wrestling stickers and playing my game. There’s something about it unsettling. It’s like if the Mona Lisa was opened to grade school children for scratch’n’sniff. It’s horrible to think about.

This is another reason to never release it. I can’t control who plays it. I certainly didn’t work a decade and a half on the game so the unwashed masses could get hold of it. Wait a second, I’m going to plug the woodchipper back in.