Son of Recommend me a Boardgame (2014 edition)

There are a few 3-player designed games. The End of the Triumvirate is an interesting 3-player euro wargame. Haggis is kind of like Tichu for three players, and sometimes I actually think it’s more interesting/fun.

And regarding Dixit, it’s specifically for non-gamers. It’s a social/party game. My family has pretty much fallen in love with it when I’ve pulled it out.

No one wants to hear about what happens when you pull out your Dixit.

Tichu is so damn good. If you can only get 3 players, Haggis is a great substitute. Either way it’s something you should be doing.

The only reason I don’t start people new to games on Tichu is that they won’t ever learn about the board games. They’d just get sucked into Tichu forever.

Hah. Pretty much. But like I said, I don’t even really see Haggis as a substitute- it’s a great game in its own right. Sure, you lose out on the team/partnership aspect of the game, but you gain in the malleability of your hand. Having everyone start with three wild cards that some or all of can be converted into a bomb means there’s approximately a million and ten ways to play any given hand- in Tichu, it often seems that after the pass you pretty much know the order you’re going to get your cards out. The biggest downside was that the cards it was printed on were absolute shit- my group has gone through at least four or five sets in the last couple years, finally resorting to marked-up real professional playing cards. I understand the latest printing is finally on good card stock, however.

Good, I just got my kickstarted copy of the reprint in the last month or two and I’m glad it’s not as bad as the first copy I played with. :)

I’m so glad someone brought up music. When my nieces and nephew are over, for a while it was tough to get the tv to always be off as a distraction so I felt I needed to fill the empty space with music, but didn’t really have anything ready. So I just played some Tchaikovsky and Star Wars but at the time we had no Star Wars or space games.

So maybe we could do a full list of boardgame genres and keep adding to it in a methodical way? Ok, I just made a new thread over in music as the list could also be used for book reading background as well:

Oh man. Sentinels of the Multiverse: Vengeance just arrived and it looks absolutely flipping amazing. I can’t wait to try these heroes, and the Vengeful Five look like a serious challenge. I’m not entirely sure how I feel about the environments, but then that’s definitely been the weakest link of most of the expansions. Freedom Tower, as you might expect, seems roundly in favor of the heroes, and the Mobile Defense Platform not quite as challenging as Rook City but solidly villain advantage…plus it has a 10HP target that kills everyone if it’s destroyed. I think there’s a couple of villains you never, ever want to fight there since they routinely destroy environment cards.

The Naturalist is a shapeshifter (I think the first we’ve seen, at least on the hero side) who has a bunch of cards that are either more powerful in a given form or do different things depending on which of the three forms he’s in.
K.N.Y.F.E. is a spec ops psychic with advanced tech - she has a very interesting mechanic where many of her cards give her some sort of ongoing benefit that she can destroy as a power to get some other benefit for that turn, or that ask her every turn if she wants to use their effect and if she does they’re then destroyed. Lots of cards up her sleeve.
Parse is a super-analytical archer who can do irreducible projectile damage, manipulate decks (including her own), provide temporary damage boosts, etc. She looks decently powerful and useful but has probably the least memorable design.
Setback is a walking jinx (made super-strong by an experimental serum) who specializes in redirecting pain to himself, hurting himself, and accumulating an “unlucky” resource that he can expend in all sorts of potent ways.
and finally
The Sentinels are four superheroes in one deck, each of whom has their own character card and power and who are only incapacitated as a deck by taking all four out of commission (there are cards that reactivate individual Sentinels who are incapacitated). They look fun as hell - each has a very strong theme and boosts specific cards in the overall deck, but there’s a lot of coordinated cards that can leverage multiple Sentinels at once. And (as you might imagine with a team that has roughly half to a third of the usual hero’s HP total per character), they have what sure looks like the strongest healing yet offered to the hero side in the form of Doctor Medico, who can heal a hero target for 3 HP and has an ongoing that causes any damage he deals to heal a hero target instead.

Sentinels of the Multiverse theme music?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsWgG5v7A3A

…one wheel’s off and the Meeple’s broken.

Oh, recommendation: Archon. Good luck actually getting it. Hand management/worker placement. Overflowing with encrusted, detailed art (the board takes it to distraction, but it seems to only be a problem when first looking at it). My favorite game so far since Tzolk’in. Interesting combination of hand management, competing for resources/rewards, and varying strategies/abilities as you replace cards and acquire buildings.

I played my first game of Relic at the weekend, 2 player with my brother who was visiting for 2 and a bit days. We’d never played it or Talisman before, so it took us essentially two entire afternoons to finish our first game. We realised that we spent at least an hour more than was necessary before tackling the final, inner tier, but I couldn’t guesstimate how long it would take for us to finish a 2 player game now that we know what we’re doing. We really enjoyed the game, by the way.

So I’m curious, has anyone played enough 2 player Relic to give me an idea how long it takes them normally? We’re probably slightly slower as we deliberate over things a bit too much! Our games of Warhammer Invasion tend to take between 1 and 2 hours, depending on how even the game ends up.

LOL. We need a forum like button and throwing out a random joke wouldn’t feel quite like this just about every time. :)

How difficult is it for board game makers I to have painted figurines? Like, LotR: War of the Ring, how much would it have cost FFG to have all the mass produced figures painted instead of just red and blue? I used to think there was some barrier, but the Star Wars X-Wing miniatures suggests that a war game “could” do it at a price premium. Like if a game normally cost. $50, maybe it would cost $70 instead? Or would it fully double or triple costs. Basically, I don’t want to paint stuff, just wish manufacturers offered mass produced stuff that’s already done even if the paint jobs aren’t all that good. Some is better than noting to me.

I also think the x-Wing mini’s have great paint, but then there is crap like the Mage Knight or Dungeon Command mini’s that I wish were just not painted. On balance I have found that most pre-paints kinda suck and they are actually a knock for me when I am deciding to get a game.

To be fair though I paint mini’s so I would rather just paint the mini’s myself the way I want them than have lousy pre-paints.

Sentinels of the Multiverse looks way cooler than it seemed watching Youtube reviews! Can’t wait to play it now. Interestingly, as I look back on boardgames we’ve purchased in the last year, the majority are FFG games. Eldritch Horror, Star Wars X-Wing, Descent… They really do things right. Though in Descent, one of the Heroes came broken off his base and the red Dragon lost the tips of his wings. Is FFG pretty good at replacing stuff like that? Wizards of the Coast is really good about missing pieces. In fact, when I called to say I was missing a production chart I was telling the tech how much I loved Axis and Allies and hoping for someone to play the WW I variant with and he said, “a lot of people complained there weren’t enough army units- would you like the extra set we send out?” I was like, “Sure!” And get this… just 3 days later I get a package with a whopping 140 pieces!!! Whoa! What awesome people!

I don’t know how FFG’s customer service is, but I definitely agree that seeing they’re the publisher of a game I see as a plus. I think they tend to do bigger print runs and sell more copies of games then most publishers, and as a consequence they seem to have better components at lower prices. (Though I do not understand why Chaos in the Old World came with those awful small cards for spells. I hate holding a hand of small cards.)

At one point I recall reading that Fantasy Flight is something like the third largest boardgame publisher. Which says a lot about the industry, honestly, because they’re based just a few miles from the library I worked at for almost a decade and I’ve known a couple of people that work(ed) for them, have playtested for them, and have been to their offices, and they are -not- a large operation. Of course, the largest boardgame publisher would be Hasbro, and there is a giant size gap there.

[i]Dear Sentinels of the Multiverse…

I love you, but you and me together alone seems to be a really bad combination. I knew you were demanding, and wanted my full attention when we first got together, but when you slip something super-important in amongst all the little details, I start wondering exactly what you’re trying to get out of this relationship. It would be one thing if it was a +1 damage here, or a draw a card there, but what you did hurt me, and it cost me a Saturday night. If you really want this to last, I need to know you’ll work on being a little clearer next time, ok?
[/i]

So I can’t be the only one who ever played against Citizen Dawn and didn’t realize she counted towards the Citizens needed to flip back from her immune side, right?

I had a pretty good game going with Citizen Dawn, Tempest, Haka, and Absolute Zero in the Ruins of Atlantis. I knew it was going to be a bit of challenge (despite playing on “easy” mode) because I had never used any of those decks before. I felt like I did pretty well with the rules for the first 30-45 minutes, and even properly included Dawn in the Citizen buffs (like the -1 damage Citizen), but when she flipped, things fell completely apart. I read the flip condition and calculated that there needed to be two Citizens in play, but totally forgot she counted as a Citizen, maybe because it seems weird to think of the villain as “in play”.

I got one Citizen in her cards the first round after she flipped, but for the next 5-6 rounds every Citizen I drew kept getting chomped by a Kraken, or crushed by a collapsing ceiling. So by the time I finally got two Citizens up (not including Dawn), I had 2-3 of her ongoings up and Tempest was dead. It didn’t help that I also completely misread the Citizen Dare text and assumed he blew up as soon as he was put in play. That one was definitely on me. After that I couldn’t keep up with all the damage and defeat was inevitable.

Still had fun though! Just hate that I probably could have won if I had simply gotten one bit of text read correctly.

Anyway, after I got done I went through the unofficial FAQ because I had a few questions pop up. That’s when I noticed the bit about her counting as a Citizen in play for the flip condition. /shakes fist

I did have one question for you SotM vets though. I’ve been playing that conditions in effect when a power is in play are frozen while that power is being played out. Simple example:

Citizen Dawn has two Citizens out. One is Citizen Anvil(?) that reduces damages to Citizens by one. He has one health remaining. Tempest uses his hailstorm ability that does two damage to all enemies. I have been treating it that Dawn and the two Citizens take 1 damage, and Citizen Anvil is killed, because I assumed the effects were frozen. However reading through the FAQ last night, effects change immediately. So with that one power, I could hit Citizen Anvil for one which kills him, then the other two would take two damage. Is that correct?

That is correct, you choose the order in which damage is dealt.

Got to play three rounds of sentinels yesterday and it was the best gaming session I have had in a long time. Though I will admit that keeping track of everything can be daunting at times. We lost to Dreamer, then won against miss information and Voss. Of course I warned our group that the metropolis might not be a good starting environment for the new people to the game… They didn’t listen and that city kicked our butt good.