Songs that have lodged themselves into your brain

It might be that hint of syncopation in the rhythm section, the racy overtones, or the repetitious refrain, but I’ve had a Lily Allen earwig for about a week. It’s not fair.

My clock radio is tuned into a local top 40 radio station, just because they have a local news cast right when my alarm goes off. Well, close anyway. Each morning I hear the last 20 seconds or so of a song, then the news. The problem is that what seems like every other day for the past couple of weeks I’ve woken up to the last 20 seconds of the same damned song. Something about “fire burning on the dance floor… WHOA OHHH OHH” over and fucking over. I really have no clue who sings it, I just want them to die.

That whole album is really good.

Band on the Run, Jet, and Live and Let Die are all great songs. Wings did some other solid stuff too.

Miley Cyrus courtesy of my 3-year old singing it near perfectly, including inflections, 1,000 times.

Pop it, lock it, polka-dot-it
Countrify then Hip-Hop it
Put your Hawk in the sky, move side to side
Jump to the left, stick it glide

Zig-zag, cross the floor,shuffle in diagonal
When the drums hits, hands on your hips
One foot in, 180 twist
And then up,
Zig-zag, step, slide,lean in left, clap 3 times
Shake it out, head to toe
Throw it all together, that’s how we role

Do the Hoedown(Throw down)
Throw It All Together, that’s how we roll

SOMEBODY CALL 9-1-1
SHAWTY SETTIN FIRE TO THA DANCE FLOOR
WHOA OH OH!

baby blue by badfinger… been addicted to the song on my drive home from work the past month or so. maybe because i feel like a blue baby?

or ‘i guess i got what i deserved’ !?!?!

<3

Yeah. That song was pure dreck but I will grant that the rest of the album is probably Wings’ best effort - no surprise, since McCartney pulled out all the stops with the collaborative help (Costello, Gilmour, etc.). And why? Because Press to Play fucking sucked and nobody bought it.

i’ve been addicted to NiN’s march of the pigs recently… reznor is good at cathartic noisy pop, imo.

I feel like Tracy Jordan talking about how he almost voted for Nader… NADER.

I have Evacuate the Dance Floor by Cascada stuck in my head… CASCADA.

I listened to it about 6 times in one day and have had Strawberry Fields Forever stuck in my head for a week since then. Fortunately, I think it’s slowly getting phased out by Bob Marley’s African Herbman, which oddly enough I don’t recall listening to in years.

Loverboy’s “Working for the Weekend” has banished Wings, for now.

Waltzing Matilda today, sigh.

Nobody’s mentioned Tom’s Diner yet?

McCartney? His first solo album was great. I love “Maybe I’m Amazed.” but shit. “Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time” is the gayest holiday song ever put to vinyl/magnetic/optical/digital media. And now it’s running through ALL OUR heads. Thanks for this fucking thread.

I grew up with a family cabin on a lake, and when I was very young my dad used to stand our huge yellow lab up on his hind legs and dance with him in the water while singing this song loudly and badly.

TRUE STORY

Sadly I don’t know you well enough to mock you for this revelation.

It’s not the world’s worst song, either, it’s just annoying when you can’t stop humming it and singing through all the verses just makes it resonate even more strongly…

I’m pretty sure I mocked myself, but if anyone doesn’t have a bunch of similarly goofy stories about their fathers, I pity them.

I’ve only ever heard the Pogues cover of the folk song which references it. It won’t get stuck in your head, but it’s pretty awesome anyway! (Is it possible Shane isn’t drunk in that clip?).

No, not really. But speaking of Waltzing Matilda – my wife and I honeymooned in Australia, and I must say they take that national song business pretty seriously there. I don’t know that I had ever heard the song before but all you have to do is mention it and it’s stuck in my head for a good long while. So, good job guys!