Sonos are dicks

This seems set up wrong to me. Why can’t you just get a credit for turning in an old device? Apple buybacks work that way, essentially functioning as a discount on your new purchase as they seem to offer a little more when a new device is launched.

Sonos is a smaller company but they should be able to run a buyback/mail-in recycling program.

A buyback program is more expensive to operate. This is cost effective to the company.
Also if the speakers bricked and then are recycled just how much is salvageable? Does recycling the speaker actually make more sense, ecologically, than a return program? I would think any judgement would require that knowledge.

Yes, because 100% of returned devices would be recycled, while some of the people entering the “recycling program” are doing it just for the coupon and will toss their old speakers in the garbage. It would be much more expensive, though, which is why they don’t do it.

You know what was a choice, choosing a statement like “sustainability is non-negotiable,” and then turning around and trying to use expense as an negotiable position to excuse not running a more sustainable program.

Well, they’re not negotiating anything with the customer, so I guess they’re telling the truth!

Yeah, that is “poor optics”, as they say in DC.

What a stupid incentive. Destroying perfectly good hardware is just wasteful, and bad enough, but then doing it without taking responsibility to then recycle the now junk is just taking a dump on the world.

It’s a bit peculiar because it means that their hardware is so worthless used, that it is worth less than the profit margin on newer hardware.

It’s pretty gross.

It doesn’t mean that at all. Some people don’t bother reselling their old stuff. I’m one of those people. I’ll either give it away to friend/family or throw it out. If I’m going to throw it out anyway, why not get a coupon?

Mainstream tech news has discovered the story now:

we felt that the most responsible action was not to reintroduce them to new customers that may not have the context of them as 10+ year old products, and that also may not be able to deliver the Sonos experience they expected.

Their partial response to Verge. I might need to see one more movie before the year is over because this company is so full of shit that the ensuing PR splash should be worthy of movie popcorn I currently lack.

Here now too

Expect some meaningless PR statement soon

I expect they’ll just stop offering the coupon except when the product is actually EOL, and then they won’t require it to be bricked.

Although China has stopped accepting much/all of our e-waste and many recyclers have been shown just to be green washers who send it to the landfill still, I wonder if there’s a reputable recycler they could offload to and partner with to burnish their image. Handling it themselves would obviously hit their bottom line to much since they don’t really care about the other green impact. Apple isn’t altruistic either but their chain of retail stores at least has a built-in bricks and mortar structure to accept submissions.

People should remember that there are actually 3 Rs when it comes to being a bit more green, and that on the hierarchy of the 3 Rs, Recycle is the very last resort. It’s the step you take when you can’t do the other 2 steps, which Sonos just casually ignores.

The first R is Reduce, as in, don’t buy so much shit. In this case, if your Sonos works, don’t replace it. And don’t break it on purpose so that you can can replace it.

The second R is Reuse. This one is a bit easier. Give your Sonos to someone else, so that they can use it. That way, they can Reduce the amount of E-Waste they are producing. Selling it is okay as well.

Only after something can’t be avoided in the first place, or reused, are we supposed to recycle. And Sonos can’t even do that correctly.

Sonos are dicks.

I remember bringing some old hardware to Best Buy years ago and they had no idea they offered a free e-waste recycling program to the public. The guy was like, “We just throw it out with the rest of the stuff.” Not sure if they had a dumpster for boxes, plastic and paper, and a dumpster for electronics.

Buy a real stereo dammit.

I love my sonos setup. Sounds great, no wires, everything integrated and compact.

Yep Sonos are great, well worth the money. Although I still can’t justify the $600 sub.

I live in an apartment so I don’t have to think about that! Very happy with my beam and two play:1s as surrounds. As I grow older I realize I just don’t want clutter, wires everywhere, gigantic receivers, speaker stands, etc.