Sonos music system

Looks great, but depends on how it sounds. The older $700 playbar sounds fantastic, but it’s much larger than the new product.

Yes, Sonos Play:1 or Ones would work as surrounds wirelessly.

Thank you. Bit the bullet and preordered. Saved $50 on the two Play:1s. Trying to rationalize no subwoofer because of the condo’s thin walls. Everything else I have by Sonos has sounded great, so not too worried about sound quality.

The Airplay 2 support will be nice as well. Been using it on my HomePod and it works quite well. I have always used Bluetooth, but no connecting and not having every other sound from the device going to the speaker is very nice.

I’ve already got a receiver and bookshelf speakers with stands, but if I had it to do over I would absolutely get a soundbar. I’m all about reducing the clutter these days.

I haven’t had surround speakers in well over a decade, but if I could just plug 'em in and not have to worry about wiring anything, that would be pretty attractive. They have little stands with integrated wire channels that look really slick.

I have a WiFi receiver now and it drives me nuts with the ARC stuff. The TV always wants to switch it to a different input and I have to keep changing it back. Sure I could fix it, just never want to take the time. Plus as I said, I don’t have surround because of the hassle.

The stands you linked, why would anyone want them hooked up by Ethernet? No real advantage in that for music and everyone has WiFi nowadays.

You don’t have to use ARC, it comes with an HDMI->TOSLINK optical audio dongle.

I have a Sonos Play:1 myself, and when it was on wifi, for some reason, my internet download speed was restricted to 300Mbps, like hardware offloading was turned off. As soon as I plugged it in to ethernet that was solved. So there’s one reason.

Oh that makes me feel great about this. Although never noticed anything with my other Sonos stuff.

I never could figure out what caused that. If I wanted to fix it I could have used an old router on a segmented 2.4Ghz VLAN to isolate from the rest of my network, but it was a lot less work to just plug in an ethernet cord.

So I broke down and got a Beam also. I want to declutter my life, and getting rid of my receiver, speaker stands, and bookshelf speakers is just too attractive. Living in NYC space is at a premium, and empty completely unused space is an unbelievable luxury.

Now to stop myself from picking up a second Play:1 to use in surround!

Yep, same here, really looking forward to ditching my huge receiver. I have a separate platform for it because it won’t fit under my TV with everything else. And no more speaker wires…

Did they give you a July 17th date as well? Suppose new Sonos stuff doesn’t sell out? I am too used to buying Apple stuff where you have to act fast.

Yep, July 17th delivery.

Do sound bars typically come with a subwoofer, or is there enough bass that they don’t need one?

I’m using old 2.1 PC speakers with my TV currently. The sound is fine, but there’s no remote control.

I assume you are talking about Sonos soundbars? They do not come with subwoofers. You cannot use a 3rd party one with it either, it has to be the Sonos subwoofer, which costs $700. I don’t have my soundbar yet, but in researching whether to get the subwoofer, I read it supposedly makes a huge difference, which isn’t surprising since they tend to make any sound system better.

I will get the Sonos subwoofer eventually, but I am in no rush.

The sonos subwoofer is startlingly expensive. I live in an apartment so I don’t want a lot of bass anyway.

On a side note, I got a second Play:1 speaker with the Father’s Day sale to use as surrounds with the new soundbar when it comes. The Play:1s sound extraordinary in stereo, really impressive the quality and quantity of sound you get out of such tiny speakers.

I also got $15 stands from Monoprice specifically designed for the Play:1s so they look sharp as hell now. If you need stands, I do recommend them. Pain in the ass to put together but very inexpensive compared to the official stands on Amazon, and they look great when done.

IPO prospectus

I don’t like this. Companies going public always makes me fear that quality will suffer in an attempt to make investors happy. Of course that’s hardly true, just my irrational fear.

It’s not ideal, but far better than if they were bought out.

Sonos coasted for a long while as a private company, so I don’t see that being a big fear here.

Any chance there will be a Sonos sale during PrimeDay? Doesn’t seem like they went on sale last year during it. Although there was some kind of major sale last July on their own site I think.

If I could get a deal not he subwoofer I might pick one up.

Camel what you are looking at and the price you want. It will let you know if it goes on sale.

Can’t believe I have never heard of that. Thank you. Got it all set to alert me.