Sony announces the PlayStation Classic

Looks like there’s a free one week trial, I need to give this a spin.

There’s also a discount on subs right now. One month is $9.99, 3 is $29.99 and 12 is $79.99. That annual price is the best they ever offer.

The fact that a game has made it on to PSN at all means it has cleared a quality bar those shovelware CDs never passed. With so many games on the service it’s almost impossible to conceive of a person who wouldn’t find something they like. And the streaming option makes it effortless to sample anything instantly, without the need to wait for a long download to finish.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I’m not really interested in a subscription service, but Playstation Now has tons of great games.

I like the idea of it just like I do Microsoft’s Game Pass, because it lets you get in on the ground floor of a really big library with very little investment. I haven’t played PlayStation games since the PS2 era, curious to see what there is and how it plays.

Just keep in mind that unlike Game Pass, you won’t be downloading these games to play them, you’ll be streaming them.

Yeah, that’s the thing I’m most wary about. How much bandwith does that take per hour? I still have a limit. Is it similar to Netflix? How fast does your connection have to be for it to work right?

False. The PS4 games are all downloadable with PS Now on PS4. They added that capability this fall. The number of downloadable PS4 games in the PS Now library is now 274, a good bit more than the entire Game Pass library which just crossed 200 titles.

I think @Rock8man is aware that I don’t have a PS4, so it will be streaming for me anyway.

PlayStation Classic becomes a slightly more attractive purchase:

Interesting. So, for $99 you get a device and two controllers that most likely in the future will play SNES and N64 games as well (via hacking). But no analog sticks. :(

Was PS1 piracy huge in the US? It was in Asia. There’s something appropriate about that.

I had a Korean roommate in college who had a modded PS1. I played Vagrant Story in Japanese. (I can’t read Japanese.)

I had a Chinese buddy in college who had binders of PS1 games he bought in China every time he went home on break. He’d sell them around campus for like $5 each, he paid $1 per game for them in China.

No SSX Tricky or Gran Turismo 2…/cry.

It was massive here, too. Buying second hand PSX systems gives you a rather high chance it was modded pretty much the world over.

Judging by the deep discounts, this isn’t moving units. $60 at Amazon right now.

Quelle surprise.

You got me curious as to what price it was at launch. I went through the thread, and the funny part is that none of us mentioned it. We laughed at the games collection, but no one mentioned the price. Apparently it was $99.99 at launch.

Thing is, with the right collection, that sells.

I bought the SNES classic for full MSRP of $80, and considered it a good value. Even played a bunch with both of my kids.

Yeah SNES has some real great gems. This one… I don’t know what they were thinking. I still have my little compact PS1.