Sony sucks balls the size of Los Angeles

Sony listens. And waits.

have any of you had Blurays that would stop playing at certain segments?
I recently got the Godfather collection on Bluray, the first disk ran fine but the second one would not work between 1:10 and 1:30. If I skip that segment it works, and the movie is fine before 1:10. The disk is in pristine condition, no scratches fingerprints or whatever.

I checked some forums and a few people seem to have the same problem with this box set.

I don’t remember getting a faulty movie DVD, strange. This sucks because I got it from an auction site so… no refunds.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I have an updated PS3 and a bluray drive on my pc (I also have the latest AnyDVD HD). The disk exhibits the same behaviour on both devices.

Sounds like the pressing slightly deviates from the standard metrics in some way, and your player doesn’t like that. That does happen occasionally, sadly. Can also happen with DVDs, my old player always took a few tries to start The Phantom Menace. No problem with a newer player.

Bluray just sucks balls in general. Every day I’m getting closer to just quiting bluray. I have 3 bluray players (all updated with latest firmware) and 10 bluray disks. Some disks will only play on one of the specfic bluray players. Back in the day, I remember my first DVD player would not play the Matrix and that kind of sucked. I would have hopped that launch a new platform standard that situation could have been avoided but nooooooooooooo.

I’m close to getting a ps3 because apparently it is the only player that will play everything at the moment. That or I’m just going to stop buying movies on bluray.

I have a cheap LG Blu-ray player on my PC and never had any problem whatsoever in almost 2 years (granted, I must update AnyDVD HD regularly).

But yes the format has been released uncomplete and unfinished, which not only pisses of users who encounters the problems you describe, but gave the format a very poor image in the beginning (updating firmwares on players, single layers discs with crappy MPEG-2 encoding, etc).

I’m sure glad I bought into HD-DVD.

Because that means that I bought a combo HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player, which, while slow as freaking molasses, plays everything just fine.

I still can’t figure out what the different types of menus are though. Top Menu? Regular Menu?

The PS3 plays every BD just fine, too…

Top menu is the one at the start of the movie, I think, and regular menu is the one that’s overlaid on the movie while it’s playing. DVDs didn’t have the latter kind.