Sony to Launch Game Pass Competitor

With one big caveat:

However, one of the key perks of Game Pass and Game Pass Ultimate is day-one access to Microsoft’s first-party titles, but that might not be available with Spartacus. Schreier said in a tweet that “don’t expect Sony to include its big new games day one like Game Pass does.”

This is the part that interests me personally:

This new service, which is codenamed Spartacus, would have three tiers. One would offer current PlayStation Plus perks, another would include a catalog of PS4 and “eventually” PS5 games, and a third would have “extended demos, game streaming and a library of classic PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSP games,”

Of course my preference would be to just pop in the discs I already own and play them in a current gen PlayStation, having added access to their massive back catalog is a pretty big draw.

Yeah, I wonder if they’re building emulators so you can play those older PS3 games locally, or stream them, like you do now on PS Now. If it’s streaming, and we still don’t get Day One games, then I’m not really seeing how this is different from PS+ combined with PS Now.

My immediate reaction is that it kind of sounds like it may be a lot of fluff around just rebranding what they already have. So you won’t really gain much, but the combination will now be called Playstation Plus Platinum. I guess there’s at least some sense of expanding over the Now back catalog access there, though.

They get Midnight Club LA on there and I’m sold.