Sony's 14 words that will win this console generation

Yeah, the paid online was a bit of a buzzkill. Basically, it eats up the $100 savings. :)

Whatevs, Tom, it's going to explode in your face. There's nothing you can do about that now.

It's not a cost differential, it's a cost that shouldn't be around period. Also, if Sony truly kills MSFT off this gen (quite possible now)- PS+ will become much less of a value- Sony will get greedy.

Sony hasn't won, bit Microsoft definitely lost. They have no advantage anywhere. I've never been able to say that before. I wouldn't be shocked if the WiiU ends up doing better than the XBone, as least the WiiU has some advantages.

I know. And while i love that Sony turns the right way, its just sickens me to see the influential press behave as childish as the kids that dont wait for a thought to pass through the brain before they hack it into their keyboards.

The way Tom responded is what i expect from a spokesman of our passion and favorite pastime. Even if it does not cash in as much as the sensationalism coverage he is leaning towards more these days.

Its frustration, knowing that he turns away from the quality analysis and positive, glowing loveletters that he did before. Quality and thoughtfulness does not grant any short tail rewards.

But it nurtures the long tail love that has created the community and more than 50 episodes of the best gaming podcast ever created...

Do not embrace the dark side Tom, it is never too late...

By no means do I agree with Sony's decision to charge for multiplayer, and it's entirely possible that they could scale back PS+'s value proposition. But for free multiplayer your best bet has been and continues to be PC, and since Xbox Live has no value proposition whatsoever, PS+ would still have a ways to sink.

Typo:
"developerrs"

It's like console gamers have never heard of DRM before. PS3 was the better system when it first came out and we see how well that worked for them.

Here's the thing, Tom; I don't buy this line of bull. Not yet.

That's not to say Microsoft is a golden child, clearly they have shitty practices. But I think it's naive to believe Sony suddenly decided it would be pro-consumer. I think the company is just competitive, saw a moment of weakness, and is going for the throat.

Let's not forget; this is the company that let user's personal data be breached in a series of hacks. This is the company caught putting rootkits on CDs sold to consumers. This is the company that never did figure out how to make downloading/installing games on the PS3 not suck.

Sony is hardly a saint, and I can't help but feel gamers are being naive by declaring the company is "pro-consumer" just because they said some words on a stage.

Basically, I'll believe Sony when I see the proof. Everything is just talk until the console hit store shelves.

the PS4 is far more powerful. The CPU is the same, the GPU has 50% more shader power and 100% more ROPS. The memory bandwidth is almost 3x higher and is much easier to use than the ESRAM on the XBOX.

If your game runs well on XBOX it will run better on PS4 without any effort because the basic architecture of both systems is the same.

it is 32MB of ESRAM not 32GB. The bandwidth of the ESRAM is 102GB/s which is slower than the 176GB/s of the PS4 GDDR5.

It is easier to program for because you do not need to worry about exceeding the 32MB limit for high bandwidth assets. All assets stored in the PS4 memory are available to the GPU at full speed so you can have larger textures with less pop in without needing to use tricks to make maximum use of the ESRAM in the Xbox.

The ESRAM is a shoe horned solution that is only required because they NEEDED 8GB of ram and the only way to guarantee they would have when they designed the system was to use slow DDR3.

I have a background in hardware. Explain.

From what I've seen, the PS4 looks to have somewhat better hardware. But the details have been pretty sketchy. If you've got some more detailed info, I'd love to hear it.

Pretty much agree. Everything I've heard from Microsoft is how they're going to deliver a bunch of crap I don't want while Sony seems intent on delivering, you know, games.

Also, PS4 does not include camera in the box..

Because that's such a meaningful feature.

Oh, Sony is by no means a company with a long track record of pro-consumer policies, but if it'll make them money and earn them market dominance, which it easily could considering how thoroughly Microsoft is fucking up their public image this generation, then they'll probably do it. Maybe.

It's amazing to me that so many gaming companies are putting all their eggs into the "deceive people into spending more than they intend" basket. Do they really think that is a sustainable business plan?

Sony has gotten a huge leg up on Microsoft simply by remembering "The customer is always right." This isn't some cutting edge marketing strategy, it's advice you'd get from your grandpa.

Yeah, actually. Kinect 2 looks incredible, and superior to PS Eye. The possibilities are really exciting, especially for the vast majority of gamers who lapped up the Wii.

Here's a more detailed comparison:

http://hothardware.com/News/So...

XB1 has a Radeon HD 7790 equivalent card, PS4 has a Radeon HD 7870 equivalent card.(So one step up in terms of expense/quality on AMD's numbering scale)

The unified architecture is gonna count for a lot too.

As for permanent preference...we're talking about hardware here...you can't
http://www.downloadmoreram.com...

Internet meme-ing aside, there is no conceivable way that "The Cloud" can make up the difference. Even with an excellent fiber connection, your internet bandwidth and latency won't be even close to the bandwidth and latency of GDDR5 RAM.

If you say so. I regard neither the Kinect nor the Eye (nor the Move, which sounds like it won't be returning for the PS4?) nor the Wii as having produced anything remotely meaningful or exciting as far as core gaming is concerned.

Also, even with the camera purchased separately the PS4 is still cheaper than the Xbox One, just saying.