Sopranos Season 4 (spoilers)

From another thread. Thought it deserved its own home.

I agree.
What they’re doing to Ade is a lot of fun. I really like how Walnuts is becoming this sort of Iago figure, and how Tony is self-destructing. This season we got Janice with that “love and forthrightness she’s famous for” moving in on Bobby, Meadow’s fight with her parents (one of the most realistically written arguments I’ve ever seen), Junior the in court cheapskate, more Silvio moments than the other three seasons combined, “Gary Cooper was gay?” - great speech on Tony’s part, Anthony Jr.'s meditations on wealth and criminality, and the scariest octogenarian hit men the world has ever seen.

Really the only clunker, for me, is the whole Carmella/Furio thing. Seems underdeveloped and just plain odd. In fact, they had moments with Carmella that were really promising. Showing how the “first lady” weilds power also. They seem to have backed away, I’m hoping for a nice payoff. Bad things are coming from her financial advisor cousin, I think.

weilds power

So that whole post was a joke, or just the part about Carmella? I’m still trying to figure out the rules of When Bub’s Posts Don’t Mean What They Say.

BTW, not only have I not seen The Godfather, I’ve never seen The Sopranos. I have a good excuse, however: I don’t have cable.

Also, I’ve never had anyone explain the show to me in a way that makes me want to see it. So it treats mafia folks as real people with real world problems? That’s the twist?

-Tom

Regardless of the well-written hoo-hah, it’s really funny. The bit with a box of Uncle Ben rice was priceless.

So when is this joke going to run its course? We realize your superiority to Bub every day, but yeesh… is this one giant battle for alpha message board status?

Also, I’ve never had anyone explain the show to me in a way that makes me want to see it. So it treats mafia folks as real people with real world problems? That’s the twist?

How about that it’s a soap opera with gratuitous nudity, lots of swearing, and violence?

Or that it’s like The Royal Tennenbaums, only funnier? And with more swearing? And nudity? And violence?

I came late to the Sopranos. I started watching towards the end of Season 2. I caught a lot of early episodes in various reruns and things but I can’t say I have seen them all. So far I am happy with Season 4. I will agree with a lot of others that the Carmen/Furio thing is annoying but other then that I love it. This weekends episode where the guy wakes up in the Bada Bing with no pants on and then Tony leans over a balcony and says - lets go get breakfast. It just one of those things that makes me chuckle. The writing is good, the acting excellent and the stories are always unique. The only show that tops it in my opinion is Six Feet Under…but that’s a story for another thread.

So when is this joke going to run its course?

I think most of us are still astonished at that one. I’d give it a slightly shorter shelf life than the whole ‘breaking the news about Neverwinter Nights’ comment, but a longer shelf life than the ‘Ben Kingsley was one-dimensional in Sexy Beast’ comment.

At any rate, it won’t last anywhere near as long as wumpus-isms about micropayments and Sacrifice being a glorified Quake. Bub has nothing on wumpus.

How about that it’s a soap opera with gratuitous nudity, lots of swearing, and violence?

That makes it sound like Dream On, but with violence. Does it have Brian Benben?

-Tom

I’ll just transfer my thoughts about the feel of this season until the last week or two:

I like Furio’s character as a whole and, IMO, he has not been featured in enough episodes. A tryst between those two could have unpredictable results. I am just glad Ralphie and Tony’s sister are no longer an item and engaging in activities which happen to be illegal in the state of Alabama.

No, but it does have a guy that plays guitar in Bruce Springsteen’s band.

But yeah, it’s exactly like Dream On, minus the old TV show cuts, annoying lead actor, and annoying ex-wife. And it’s less contrived. And better written. But it does have an annoying son. And it’s actually funny. And twice as long.

It’s a lot like Arli$$, only without the parts that suck. Which is to say, it’s nothing like Arli$$, which was entirely full of suck. In fact, I’m convinced Robert Wuhl has some illicit photos of someone at HBO. How else can anyone explain that show’s existence for, what, five years or so?

Actually, now that I think about it, The Sopranos is more like Sex & the City, only with bigger, faker breasts.

LMAO Steve - Every time they show the Bada Bing I get this look from my wife followed immediately by a comment like “What is wrong with men. How can they think breasts the size of watermelons that look as fake as those are attractive”. You all know there is just no right answer to that. I have tried so far:

1. Ummm it appeals to the men who frequent strip clubs
  2. It appeals to the Playboy crowd
  3. To kids who don’t know better
  4. I even tried to explain the whole…they don’t marry those girls things…

None of these attempts got very far.

The line you’re looking for is “Honey, all men are pigs, you know that!”

Heh, but if you really want to make a lasting impression, you have to follow up that line with, “Now go get me a beer.”

It’s a lot like Arli$$, only without the parts that suck. Which is to say, it’s nothing like Arli$$, which was entirely full of suck. In fact, I’m convinced Robert Wuhl has some illicit photos of someone at HBO. How else can anyone explain that show’s existence for, what, five years or so?

Arli$$ has been cancelled though Wuhl will be developing more shows with HBO.

Heh, but if you really want to make a lasting impression, you have to follow up that line with, “Now go get me a beer.”[/quote]

I think it’s, “Now go get me a beer, bitch.”

No, you’re looking for, “Now get your bitch-ass in the kitchen and make me a sammich!. . . and be snappy about it!!”

Yeah, I knew that, but my “has incriminating evidence” theory is still credible because of that “more shows” deal.

As she trots off into the kitchen, mutter just loud enough so she can here, “Stupid whore.”

Wild, pointless speculation follows, with some spoliers…

I wonder if Chris is going to be left with a choice at the end of this season – namely, kill Adrianna to protect himself or leave her alive and risk having her destroy everything for him. There’s no way he would go into the witness protection program. Also, the show’s really all about Christopher’s rise to succeed Tony – that’s the one constant theme that’s been present since the very first episode, and it’s been getting more and more pronounced over the past two seasons – it would make sense that Chris play a big role in how season four ends. Every season Chris has been faced with this “Am I in or am I out?” question, so maybe this is how it will continue this year. And Chris having to murder his fiancee could really be something amazing, from a dramatic perspective. It would be better than when they clipped Pussy at the end of season two.

I agree on the increasing importance of the Christopher theme. Very few people have been “whacked” so far this year so I am expecting a virtual “whack-o-rama” in the final few episodes.

Minor spoiler…

Do you think Tony will agree with Carmela that having another woman’s fingernail found in your clothes is worth $39,600? This will only make sense to those who saw last night’s episode.

-DavidCPA

It seemed he did to me based on the conversation in the kitchen at the end of the episode…Ralph just gets creepier with every episode…Had to love the 3k to tell you Ralph’s sex kinks conversation.

DavidCPA, yes. (only a CPA would have done that calculation btw)
Did you listen to the end credits song? It was about the balance of power in a relationship and the refrain was about “who wears the crown.” I absolutely think Tony would avoid another Goomar (however you spell that) confrontation.

Chris won’t get whacked, he’s becoming too central. Paulie is in danger and I can’t wait for Ralphie to get it. Tony is gathering info against him, I think. Once he found out about the kinks from Janice, a light came over him and he could go with that girl. Somehow in a goomba macho kind of way that makes Junior ashamed enough of his cunnilingus skills to dump that girl he loved, Tony now has no respect for Ralphie.