Sorcerer King: Asymmetrical 4X

Me too. If steam reviews are any indication of interest… it only has 181 :(

Quite. SteamSpy reports ‘Players total: 11,635 ± 2,607 (93.83%)’

An upper bound of 14k is just brutal. Which is too damn bad as it’s a great game.

Is this game sufficiently updated post launch that balancing is fine tuned? I saw they were testing 1.3

Anyway, got a steam email saying this is 50% off right now (20 bucks) and was wondering if this one has reached the sweet spot yet, or should I wait for 75% off?

I don’t know if it got better with patches, but for me it isn’t worth $20 - but it is hard to say what it would be worth to someone else. You may like it more than I did. When I was working I didn’t mind blowing money on a game I thought was only OK, but now I try to be more careful.

Thanks for the input, I think I’m just going to let this one bake some more and get cheaper too.

I just pulled the trigger on Attila at 50% and I’m having a blast getting my butt handed to me by the Barbarians, so I’ve got plenty of enjoyment yet to come from that one, not to mention the end of Oct is the release date for Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition (for free since I already own DOS).

I’ve put 30 hours into SK so far and really enjoying it. I think it’s at a good state of polish and challenge right now.

I also enjoyed it quite a bit at launch, though it didn’t have enough meat on its bones at the time to support more than a handful of play-throughs, most likely. With patches and stuff, I anticipate diving back in when my life stops being insane.

I think it was there at launch. It’s not a Civ IV 500-hr experience, but it’s a good solid game worth beating a few times. I plan to head back into it when the XP hits. I enjoyed it a lot more than I did GalCiv3 or LH.

Speaking of Fallen Enchantress Legendary Heroes easytarget, do you have that yet? I liked that game a lot and got a couple hundred hours out of it I think. It’s on sale on Steam.

No, but I’ve had it on and off my list a few times, kept debating it. When it came up on my radar I was inundated by 4x fantasy, some of which like Endless Legends and AOW3 both looked like the better games to me (which is also why I passed on SK), now that some time has passed and I’ve played Endless and AOW3 a bunch it might well be time to check out Fallen Enchantress.

Thanks for mentioning it’s on sale, man it’s a deal right now at 10 bucks! Got to like that.

Armando Penblade, Alstein & Ponicus,

Thanks for the feedback on SK, I’ll definitely make sure to get it at some point, I suspect I will still wait for 75%. But at least now I know to make sure and circle back for it!

The tactical battles are done better in AoW3, but FE: Legendary Heroes is still a good game. Just don’t expect the battles to be ‘AoW3 good’ so you aren’t disappointed :-)

Yep, after reading about it and watching some video on it I know it’s not AOW3, so I won’t go in setup for disappointment, but thanks for circling back to mention it just in case!

LH is also getting a bunch of new fixes and a whole new stamina system for combat via the 2.0 patch, which is currently opt-in on Steam and should be fully released very shortly. (And, mandatory grumbling, LH battles aren’t AOW in the same way that Heroes of Might & Magic isn’t Fantasy General. But anyway! ;) )

SK 1.3 is also currently opt-in, to be public shortly, and adds a build queue and some other UI QOL stuff and obviously bug fixes.

(I had to go look all this stuff up because I’ve been spending all my time on Ashes. It was weird.)

Hey Adam, is there any public information on the stamina system?

About the AoW3 comparison - The focus of AoW3 has pretty much always been on the battles. I think FE:LH is a more complete ‘typical 4X’ game. I’m not sure which game I liked more overall when they were both fresh to me, so the comment about the battles wasn’t stating FE:LH is a worse game overall.

the Steam forum changelog has a huge list of what it does.

Personally, not sure it looks like fun, judging from what I read.

I think it has promise. It’s hard to say just from the notes. It’s hard to go back to a game I’ve been away from for a while, but I do hope I revisit it.

Adam, the one comment I have about stamina from the notes is that the name stamina seems counter intuitive based on how it works. To start with a base number and go up as the fight wears on seems like the opposite of stamina. I see what the stamina system is supposed to do as far as ability use. It seems like a more clear name may be focus or adrenaline. Those seem more logical to grow as the fight goes on.

Hah, I argued with Derek for weeks over what to call it! We didn’t come up with anything better, so he went with “stamina.”

Honestly I don’t have any more info than what’s in the patch notes, public or not. Like I said, I’ve been neck-deep in Ashes lately.

We released SK 1.3 update today with the highly requested build queue and various other fixes and improvements. :)

Full changelog here.

New patch (1.4) is out!