Sorcerer King: Asymmetrical 4X

That’s really good on Stardock to continue supporting the game.

Sure is. This is a great if not underappreciated game. I’ll definitely go back to check out 1.4

I actually really liked this game and put a lot of time into it when it first came out (and in EA, too) so it’s great they are still supporting it. I get the impression it didn’t do as well for them as they would have liked, but I don’t really understand why not - it’s a nice looking game, easy to play, and easy to get into. With this patch I may have to load it up again and see how different (and better?) it is these days.

I think that’s a big understatement, unfortunately. :( I think they mentioned that the game was hard to market.

While most people don’t care about it, for me the lack of multiplayer made my gaming group completely ignore it. I ended up picking it up, but I was the only one. If it was a cool co-op game vs the evil AI overlord, I could have totally sold this to several people I know (not that it would have been worth the development cost to implement it, I’m just talking about my own little social circle).

The change in resource accumulation is really interesting, so I kinda wanna dive in and play around with it. . . alas, maybe after Christmas.

Really wish it were feasible to hope for an expansion to the game somewhere down the line, as i think it could benefit a lot from a generalized fluffing out and filling in, but I have to imagine that’s just not in the cards :(

Some of you are way too fast. :)

Hey, we care. Shouldn’t you be happy? ;)

Is there anyone who didn’t like the game so much at release but now likes it a lot more after the updates? I enjoyed my initial couple of games but just found that it didn’t have enough variety to keep my interest. Also I get tired of the number of similar battles I needed to fight. Just wondering if there is hope that my opinion can change after these updates.

The Autoresolve is a lot better in SK than LH, so you can safely autoresolve. It might be the first 4X game with TC where autoresolve works well.

Hell, Autoresolve routinely outfights what I suspect I’d be capable of, except in high-mana situations where I can just spell-blast my way to a flawless victory in 95% of scenarios.

What’s TC?

Tactical combat.

I’m just starting to play this. I was doing the campaign and in my first couple tries what I learned is that I can’t win fights. Should I be avoiding fights very early on? That’s not a problem, just not what I’m used to in these games, but I know SK is a rather different experience.

You should take on some Easy/Safe quests early on, and build up a little bit. If you do a heavy military start (e.g., pick the Overlord and also choose to start with a lot of units), you might be able to take most nearby fights early on, but otherwise, expect to run into Bandit packs and especially Sorcerer King stacks that are way stronger than you.

Once you train/earn a few units and pick up some equipment and/or spells for your Hero and Sovereign, you’ll be MUCH tougher. Power level grows rapidly in this game, and with a very high cap (endgame armies are just gross, lol).

more questions:

should I be enchanting everything? I have a bunch of random gems that appear to be going unused and some probably chumpy equipment (i.e. chain mail), should I be putting things in there?

what’s the deal with the “enchantment volume III” item enchants? can I only use them once? I tried to put the “nature call” on something but I didn’t seem to have a skill for that in combat after doing it.

why can my level 9 magician not use a staff that requires level 5? why can my level 9 pikemen not use a level 3 sword?

Only heroes can use weapons.

Generally enchant things if you have the mana, yes. Enchantments can be incredibly powerful.

IIRC (I haven’t played SK in a while), those “book enchants” that you get from your starting spellbooks are single-use, yes. Well, single-enchant. The enchantment effect is permanent. If you didn’t get an option to use a tactical skill after enchanting something with it, that sounds like a bug.

Testicular cancer

Or Tactical Combat, one of those. Context!

oh, ok. But regular units can use armor? That’s not very intuitive.

It’s not, but it’s explained somewhere (when I read this exchange, I realized I’d kinda known that incongruity already). No idea where, though. It might even be a weird vestige of the Elemental games (I think lots of SK’s funky DNA, stems from there), but it’s been so long since I played one, I’m not sure.