Sorcerer King: Asymmetrical 4X

This is still my favorite Stardock game, even if I haven’t played it as much as it deserves, I enjoyed both times I played to the end game, and every time I start a new game I’m enjoying myself. Also glad to see it’s getting some post-release love.

Some of what’s new in the v1.5 update:

In addition to adjusting the AI of the Minor Races so that they no longer block your roads,
v1.5 adds a couple of new features to enhance and improve gameplay.

The new scouting report feature will allow you to get a head start on your adventures by
scoping out places on the map that are harder to get a scout unit to quickly at the beginning of the game.
The fog of war will be absent from some points of interest, allowing you to gain some information on
the surrounding region.

Until now, there were no “take-backsies” in war - now, with the new improvement razing feature,
you can choose to destroy an improvement you’ve built in order to make room for something else.
With this feature, you are no longer locked into your early game decisions and can instead adjust in order
to be more prepared to face the endgame.

Hey Scott, I’m curious what made it your favorite Stardock game over Fallen Enchantress and/or Elemental?

Great question. I am not 100% sure, to be honest. It plays better, tighter, somehow. It’s a little more streamlined - everything from how buildings and cities work to how you create and manage units is just a little easier/more fun than in FE/Elemental. I couldn’t really get into any incarnation of Elemental, but I really dig what they are doing here with the more focused strategy/asymmetrical story telling. It’s a bit more rogue-like in some great ways. I think it looks a LOT better than FE, as well. I haven’t played it in some time… Steam says the last time was last December, so I’m kind of forgetting the details, but that’s the gist of it. Fun game, I got about 20 hours out of it and plan on getting in some more now that this big patch put it back on my radar.

Sorry, Scott, I have it on good authority that if you deliver 20 hours of entertainment to someone for, like, $10 on sale you are in fact the worst person in the world.

#notbitter

I feel the exact same way.

I really wonder if some of the SK concepts would work in a more traditional 4X- but that would be the challenge for a sequel to Elemental.

Better music. It’s hard for me to play SK literally because the music is so off-target with the game’s theme. I fired it up tonight and wow it’s actually hard now …on hard.

I reread this whole thread last night as an exercise in self-reflection.

It was…surreal.

Because the game is awesome? 'Cuz it is.

Mirror, mirror, on the wall…?

Did you play it at release and think it’s awesome, or try after a bunch of patches?

I liked it back when it was still in early access. I haven’t fired it up since a few weeks after launch, so I’m not sure if the game changed for the better or worse, but I did play it at launch and after. The concept just hit the right switches with me. The quality writing in the quest text was a plus for me too.

Yeah, I’d say a quarter of my hours played were in early access - it was a good game even then.

OK, I was hoping it was after patches because then I may need to hop in again. I played all my hours (maybe 35) right after release and it didn’t take too long to feel repetitive and limited, especially fighting small wave after wave of the exact same enemies. I put a ton of hours into FE and FE Legendary Heroes and just felt the greater variety and ‘more stuff’ gave it longer legs.

Maybe it has changed for the better with the patches and worth another look at some point though.

Eh, I got about 20 or 30 hours with it, as I recall, almost all immediately after release, and also loved it. I don’t think it quite unseats GalCiv2 from my pantheon of Stardock greats, but it’s probably my favorite thing they’ve developed in house since then. SK is the bee’s fuckin’ knees, y’all.

Aww, you guys.

Sorcerer King : Rivals announced today!

Stardock has revealed the stand-alone expansion for its fantasy 4X strategy game, Sorcerer King. Sorcerer King: Rivals flips the original game’s premise on its head by giving the player the ability to become a god with your rivals trying to stop you through any means necessary.

Rivals has two new playable races complete with new sovereigns, spells, units, and abilities. Three new lieutenants join the Sorcerer King’s army, each with new and unique abilities to challenge you. A new quest editor and Steam Workshop support allows you to write your own epic quest lines and share them with other players around the world.

Oooooo, that sounds interesting!

Holy fuck, yes!!

Man, quest editor and flipped gameplay. I am 100% on-board. One of my favorite games last year, if not my overall fave. Was really hoping it hadn’t been forgotten!

Say no more - I’m in. How much will it cost? Will it be available on GOG at launch? (I have Sorcerer King on Steam and GOG, just so you know)