Sorcerer King: Asymmetrical 4X

We have a official release date now (for Steam): September 15th. (source)

What about GOG? Any official date for release there?

(and will this game be ever featured in GOG Connect? :D)

[quote=“Mark_L, post:878, topic:75642, full:true”]
if you intend to be making money on Rivals from now on such that you are using the original as something of a demo and pre-order enticement to get people to buy it, perhaps it would make sense to allow returning customers to have a giftable copy of the original. [/quote]

As someone who has never played the original Sorcerer Kings, I was close to preordering the Rivals expansion because it gave a free copy of the original. Now, I didn’t preorder it for whatever reason, but there may be people out there who did preorder it entirely because it gave them immediate access to the base game, but would not have preordered if they went to their gaming forum of choice’s giveaway thread and saw a bunch of veterans handing out keys for the original game.

Not that I am trying to argue they shouldn’t do it, but I don’t think it’s that clear cut from a financial perspective.

I can see that side of the argument. I was going to give it to someone on my FL and tell them if they liked it the expansion is going on sale.

Usually the folks who scarf the giveaway games on forum threads aren’t the folks who are going to preorder your sequel, but if they like what they get, they may get future games.

Two or three of my long-standing series I bought are those which I grabbed for super-cheap or free, liked, then got the sequels. One of them, back in 2003, was GalCiv I, which I got super-cheap at a Gamestop in San Antonio on the way to the worst nine months of my life- got me through some bad times.

The publisher behind Titan Quest just gave over a million free copies of the new Titan Quest Anniversary edition to anyone who owned the original. Despite that Titan Quest Anniversary was in the Steam top 10 sellers for a couple of days (hitting at least #3; maybe higher). That is amazing since you would suppose market saturation since most interested gamers had years to pick up the original for a few bucks in numerous sales.

Giving away a free copy can generate buzz, gamer goodwill, and grow the community. I’m not arguing that it is the right choice for every publisher in every situation however.

I already pre-ordered Sorcerer King: Rivals and Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation. I didn’t receive a free copy of the originals since I already owned them. If I had I would have offered them to the QT3 community and sung the praises of the base games. An interested member of the community might have grabbed the key, fell in love with the IP and pre-ordered the standalone. Or they might not have. But it may have been one more person generating a Steam friend popup notification saying Alstein or TimN is now playing Sorcerer King.

I absolutely think this is a fair point, and is why I gave the caveat that my marketing advice was “maybe bad”. I happen to intuitively think it would work in their favor, but intuition is NOT market research, and is actually rather the opposite of market research. I just wanted to throw it out there.

Hm. I’ve owned this since it was called E2015. Maybe it’s time I actually play it.

Or wait until the stand alone expansion drops next week!

@wumpus

More or less every time I load this thread on mobile (Android 5.0, Chrome), a black-screened videoplayer of some sort hijacks my entire screen, shows a pause button, then disappears. It also pauses any ongoing background music playback as it asserts control over the media manager or something equally technical-sounding ;)

I think it might also be loading something in the background when I open the thread on desktop (Win 10, Firefox), because doing so lags the entire browser for a good 3 seconds.

I’m about 90% sure this has to do with how Discourse is one-boxing a Twitch stream upthread. . . but that particular post is way up there compared to the posts I’m reading now.

Wasn’t this supposed to be released this week? Store page now lists the 22nd. @Brad_Wardell?

Yeah, I coulda sworn it was Sept 15, but maybe I’m just crazy.

Nah, looks like the world agrees with me, but the PCGN article’s been updated to Sept. 22. Musta been delayed. No notes on their forum yet, nor Steam Discussions.

Weirdly, in the live stream at the top of the month, Brad indicated the reason it was coming on the 15th and not the 8th was due to his being out of the office that week, so a delay this close to release is a little extra troubling.

Disappointed it’s an extra week, but it’s probably minor stuff.

Gives me more time with the Bioshock Remastered release, which was the same exact day before (15th). Also I am making my way through the Dishonored 1 DLC stuff, so that’s just a bit more breathing room. I mostly would just like some sort of official word, I feel like it’s strange no one is saying anything out of that camp?

Island Dog’s confirmed the delay on the Steam forums. . . as of 2 hours ago. Weirdly tardy :(

Someone there pointed out that Divinity: Original Sin 2 drops on the 15th. Might have been a marketing thing as much as anything else.

Then again, someone else posted that a nonfinal version of the game apparently leaked to torrent sites and may have some bugs. So could be anything, I guess.

I don’t think the full version of Divinity OS 2 releases until December, so I’ll be waiting till then to play it (not a fan of early access for those types of games), but man am I looking forward it.

Yeah, it’s the 22nd now. Nothing to worry about it, just more of a scheduling thing. :)

I AM VERY WORRIED LET ME BE WORRIED

WHAT IF I DIE ON THE 20TH AND NEVER GET TO PLAY RIVALS???

noncapsforfilter

And do you have a date now for the GOG release?

I am sure the will have a copy in Heaven. That’s where you are going, right?

Don’t be too sure. Have you seen his music collection?