Sorcerer King: Asymmetrical 4X

Some other walkthrough videos have gone up on YouTube. This is one from KartGaming playing Rivals.

This was an interesting listen. Thanks for linking.

More, tougher battles sounds like a good change. Autoresolving 6-12 battles a turn got tiresome.

Yay! Release day today! :)

Brad will be stream the SK: Rivals launch today at 1pm on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/stardock

So, my regularly scheduled Thursday-night RPG got canceled this week. . . but on the flipside, I’m about a week behind on my lectures for Calc 3.

@Island_Dog, would you feel comfortable stating in your role as an SD employee that the new Sorcerer King: Rivals expansion (out now on Steam and featuring numerous updates to the famed core gameplay that made 2015’s Sorcerer King a beloved TBS-RPG hybrid) is a good substitute for professor-lead lectures on the subject of advanced mathematics?

Is the previous owner of SK discount permanent, or only before release?

After some thought, I would say yes. :)

Upgrade discount is permanent.

Thanks Island_Dog, I just bought a bunch of stuff and Civ VI is just around the corner.

I wrote up the first in the Modding Guide series:
http://forums.sorcererking.com/479737

Rivals comes with a Quest Editor. I’m thinking of remaking Ultima III with the tools as a sample (obviously can’t call it that). Ultima IV would be a bit too much to do in my spare time but I think I could tackle III.

BTW, for today’s Marathon stream at http://www.twitch.tv/stardock I’ll be bringing on guests via Skype.

If any QT3ers want to join in and talk 4X / Sorcerer King: Rivals, add me on Skype (draginol).

-brad

When does the stream start?

EDIT: Just checked and it looks like it starts at 1 PM EDT

Hope launch day goes well!

Yep, stream is going on now and Sorcerer King: Rivals is released! :)

Gameplay trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWrlhoQm8WQ

It’s available on Steam and GOG:

This is tough. It looks great, but I like the idea of 4x games more than I like actually playing them. I tend to play them once, then never play them again. I think a big part of that is that I like the early exploration stuff, but the later parts of the game become rather tedious. But my two favorites were the original Gal Civ and Kohan. I don’t like micromanagement. I am more of an rpg player than a 4x player. This certainly seems to have some similarity to the latter.

I’ve had SK in on my wish list for a year and a half, but never pulled the trigger on it. Hmmm…

@Island_Dog @Brad_Wardell I was on the stream, thanks for sharing that - I sadly had to go back to work. :)

I played a little at lunch, just wondering if there is a way to increase the zoom and maybe even disable the cloth map?

I like the cloth map, but every time the screen resets (like after a quest screen or loading out of combat) the zoom defaults to the normal range and I roll back on my mouse wheel until I hit the cloth map and then I have to roll forward and then roll back and repeat until I get to the max zoom.

I’d love a higher max zoom and a way to stop the cloth map transition, so I could just crank it back at my leisure!

you just reminded me how awesome a Kohan-style game in the Elemental universe could be. I’m sure Ashes is good, but it’s too many units- I want something where I’m only controlling a half-dozen units.

As for Rivals itself- my first impressions is that it’s SK. A good game that I played the hell out of, I don’t see the replayability yet. LH despite its flaws was pretty replayable.

Yeah, I definitely like having smaller amounts of stuff to deal with.

Didn’t realize they were working on Star Control. Never played the original, but if I’m not mistaken, it had some similarities with Starflight 2, which I really liked back in the day. Wish someone could take the basic framework of NMS and make a Starflight-Esque game.

That’s pretty much how Ashes plays.

EDIT: To clarify, you don’t control units individually, you select and control the army.

I think there’s a lot of value playing through 2 and 3. Neither’s perfect (I still maintain that the planet landing sequences in 2 are really fucking annoying, and I’m also one of like 5 people in the world who really enjoyed the 3rd, not-really-connected StarCon). Good gaming history lesson, if nothing else. . .

Yeah, I’m not that familiar with the franchise, but I’m not sure how a new victory condition and a couple of factions is supposed to dramatically alter replayability. It seems cool and all, but after watching the stream earlier this doesn’t seem like the kind of game that I’d continue to play over and over (typical for me not to in this genre, as noted earlier).

I guess what I want is something that’s quicker to play with more variability…closer to something like Strange Adventures in Infinite Space with a little more meat to it. A big part of the fun for me is never knowing what might happen next and then having to deal with the fallout.