Sort of plagiarized yet again!

This article from the Atlanta Journal Constitution on the DC Sniper/videogame connection is illustrated with a screenshot that I took for my Gamespot Sniper: Path of Vengeance review. They didn’t even bother to remove the Gamespot logo from the corner. They also didn’t bother to include the original caption: “A rare shot of some actual sniping.”

I expect this from Tom Chik, but not you Atlanta Journal Constitution.

According to the article, Sniper: POV has been pulled from Washington Wal-Marts. Area residents owe the DC Sniper a begrudged “thank you” for that, I guess.

Erik:
I expect this from Tom Chik, but not you Atlanta Journal Constitution.

See? He’s kidding! I’ve started a trend. Maybe one as lasting as Met K’s yawn.

Bub give it up already.

Everytime you backpedal you make little baby jesus cry.

Chet

Erik, is there anything you can do about stuff like this? I mean by using your screenshot they are violating copyright.

Probably all they have to do is acknowledge the source to use the screen, and since the screen is visibly branded, perhaps they feel it has been acknowledged.

You sir, have a vice-like grasp of copyright laws. Excuse me now as I press a function key that allows me to generate countless copyrighted pictures of someone else’s work.

Probably all they have to do is acknowledge the source to use the screen, and since the screen is visibly branded, perhaps they feel it has been acknowledged.

Generally, I’d tend to agree, except that the logo is just a big ‘G’ in a yellow circle. If you aren’t pretty familiar with Gamespot, that doesn’t help much.

I dunno…Some sort of acknowledgement would be nice.

The way I understood copyrighting of pictures is that once they are circulated to the public, they become public domain. I could be completely wrong about that, but I could’ve sworn that was what was said when the guy that took the picture of the 3 fireman and the flag tried to sue for copyright infringement.

On a note about the sniper, now that he has alegedly been caught. 40, black, exmilitary, traveling with his stepson. Could the profilers have been any more off than that?

I’m still anxiously waiting to hear if he had an Xbox in his livingroom so we know how he learned his sniping techniques. :) (smiley added to denote a non-serious statement in lu of a mispelled name)

sigh

Here we go again. Me? I’m looking forward to another fair use diatribe from Chet. :D :D :D

I was kidding. I’m not really mad, just entertained. I should have spelled more things wrong.

I wasn’t telling Erik he should SUE SUE SUE! All I did was ask if there was a better way to get acknowledgement as source of the picture. Christ.

Dammit voltaic!! You should know by now that the only questions allowed here must be of a technical nature or a clever rhetorical question. Why on Earth would you ask a copyright question when possible illegal plaigarism is involved? :wink: (Although, I am not sure if my question qualifies.)

You’re all wrong. Sniper POS is Genius. Pure Genius

And when you finally shoot Mr. Mayor, his body slumps forward. You shoot his midriff some more, and globs of organs fly out of his stomach as if some tech demo for nVidia particle effects. The more you shoot, the more of it comes, until finally the room is swimming in it, as if the mayor’s stomach was some alien breeding chamber, laying eggs of bloody red slop. It could be a graphics card benchmark all by itself - how much of the Mayor’s stomach can your card handle?

Hilarious stuff.

Jeez, if this was woth the effort, almost every website in existence could sue every other one. Websites constantly “liberate” screenshots from each other, but most remove the logos (putting your logo on shots given to you by the company is kind of funny, though… is it somehow a claim of ownership, or is this some form of photojournalism).

Of course most don’t feel compelled to go public with every instance of picture theft to show how important they think they are, I mean, to make a joke.

Is this actually true? I didn’t do this.

I have to say, that post on that ISO site was amazingly wumpuss-ian… he even mentioned its “Plan 9” qualities in another message, I believe. Hmm…

Actually that was my fault; I read that post and unconsciously echoed the sentiment… I just wanted to get into this crazy plagiarism thing that’s all the rage with kids nowadays!

That is probably the best single quote anyone can formulate about the game. Sniper really is so bad, it’s almost good.

I would finish Sniper, but my game now has this crazy bug… when I pick up medpacks, they don’t actually go into my inventory. They’re just gone. Combined with the difficulty ramping up rather arbitrarily all of a sudden, I’m finding it hard to go on.

Ah, I had that bug too, and yeah, it made finishing the game a bitch. I had to heal myself with beer… which wears off a lot faster than vodka.

OK, I’m not trying to debate copyright law here. But I’m curious about this. If I create an image using photoshop and save it to disk is that image my intellectual property, or Adobe’s? I used their application to create the image, right?

I’m curious because I used some GTA3 video composited with video of myself driving around Calgary for a class project, and the class didn’t know if that GTA3 footage would be legal for me to use or alter in any way. I was directing the action in the game, but it was their code. If I created a feature-length film just using GTA3 would Rockstar be entitled to some of the royalties? I know in the music business you don’t use anyone’s compositions, recordings or melodies without getting charged for the rights.

cheers,
Ian

Oh, absolutely it’s yours.

I know in the music business you don’t use anyone’s compositions, recordings or melodies without getting charged for the rights.

You can’t create a derivative work using someone else’s IP without their permission. That is a violation of copyright. So yeah, you’d need Rockstar’s permission.

If you took Photoshop, re-did the menus and added a few things, then sold it as “Photomanipulator”, that would be the the equivalent.

Maybe the lawyers will chime in here, but that’s pretty much how I interpret this mess o’ laws.