Soul Calibur VI - "Crap like this ... exactly why I hate portals"

Soul Calibur, one of my favorite fighting game franchise (honestly Soul Calibur 2 was the last time I really was in love with the genre, I must have put 500 hours into that gem and just loved every minute of it, I wish I could get back into fighting games like I did back in those days) though I fell out of favor with the genre in recent years. I did pick up Injustice 2 but haven’t really given it much time, if I’m being honest. Anyway, Soul Calibur VI has been announced, and may well be worth taking a look at!

Coming sometime in 2018 and using the Unreal 4 engine, it has been announced for PS4, XBO, and Windows for sure. A Switch version isn’t in development just yet but fingers crossed, eh?

Additional gameplay trailers have been released since the announcement, showing off some of the game’s features and roster. This is one I found doing a quick search, but there was a ton of videos out there, lots of speculation and detailed analysis of said trailers for those that want to deep dive in.

And today, Geralt of Rivia was revealed to be playable - the trailer indicates strongly some rifts in various multiverses pulling in characters from other games, as has been done in the past. I expect if we ever get a Switch version, we’ll see a Breath of the Wild Link for that console edition. :)

Not a lot seems to be known about the game’s nitty-gritty details just yet, like mechanical changes from past games or any sort of offline/single player mode (like in the aforementioned Soul Calibur 2 where you could play the campaign and find better and very cool weapons for each of the characters to then use in Vs. battles later) but given the success of games like Injustice 2 I have high hopes we’re in for a treat.

That looks badass. I haven’t been able to get into a Soul Calibur game (or any other fighting game) since the original, but Geralt might be enough to draw me back in.

Isn’t it difficult to balance when one character will beat everyone senseless and then have sexy time with them?

Being more serious, after some consideration he could totally work as a character even though it would never have occurred to me to put Geralt in a fighting game.

I never really got into any game past 2, and then I was a hardcore Siegfried and Talim stan (and I loved the weapon-hunting SP elements you mention @Scotch_Lufkin, even though I was way too bad at the game to actually get most of them. . . ) , but gotta admit that this looks cool. . . but damn I had hoped that this game would have laid off the creepfactor ogling of its female cast by now.

Geralt is neat, but not at the cost of a Talim or a Siegfried. Not all the returning characters are going to make it back in.

At least you’re not having to put up with Noctis like Tekken fans are. ^_^

This is one of the two games I’m looking forward to for later on this year alongside Blazblue Cross Tag (that might be a good fighter for Tom given that the controls are going to be simplified some and he liked Blazblue’s story)

I should get to play a preview build of this when I hit CEO later on this year.

I will join the chorus of folks that were totally into Soul Calibur 2 and then never touched any of the subsequent games. And … that’s all I have to say about that. Carry on then.

Edit: no wait, I thought of something - will this game use Geralt’s voice actor from the Witcher games? I love that guy’s dry delivery.

Geralt puts this on my radar, but I still don’t think I need another fighting game, especially at full price.

I think I was deep in SC1 only, had to Google for screens. Did that already had unlock mechanics for cosmetics or am I mixing up my games? Just remember playing a ton of it on my PS2. Never got into newer ones.

The people who made that second video really do not like Mitsurugi

I like how the jinglish nonsense storyline managed to make it into the trailers.

As someone who has played SC2, 3 and either 4 or 5, I’ll proclaim that 2 on the gamecube is best, followed by whichever of SC 4 or 5 it is that I own on the 360.

You’re my favorite person on Qt3 today.

Oh yeah, 2 was the one that got different characters on each platform, right? PS2, Xbox and Gamecube all got one unique character on their respective platforms. I think I played on Xbox, which was… Spawn?

I think that was actually SC3, wasn’t it?

E: Nope, that was 2! I played on Dreamcast, it looked so smooth and amazing on that system, but I do now remember being bummed I couldn’t play as Link, or Spawn, as I thought those looked really cool. I remember not liking whoever was on my platform that much. Someone from Tekken I think, I never got into Tekken.

I spent years hunting for a second hand copy of SC2 in the UK until I managed to find one.

And I haven’t played it since buying it 5 or so years ago, because that would involve getting the gamecube/wii out.

Yeah, I’ll have to buy this one. ;)

Yeah, Spawn. I remember feeling distinctly cheated by that one.

Well, I didn’t see this coming, but Geralt is also on the cover.

Yeah but…

I’m aware. It doesn’t make it any less weird to me though.

Great armor choice, by the way.