Soul Calibur VI - "Crap like this ... exactly why I hate portals"

Just so folks know, there’s an open beta this weekend on PS4/XB1. Online ranked only, 16 characters.

Gameplay so far meets with my approval.

Thanks for the heads up Alstein. I had no idea it was an open beta. I thought a bunch of people signed up.

I definitely enjoyed the Beta for this. Very fun fighting game.

I wasn’t sure I was into SC, but after playing the demo I am pretty sure I am in. Just a fun game to play and way more user friendly than Tekken which just feels so cumbersome to me.

It was a lot of fun for me as well. Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter are my favorite fighting games, and I’m getting my most nostalgic one (Samurai Shodown) next year as well.

I was getting worked when going up against SC5 vets, doing pretty well otherwise. I think SC6 is going to be good (just make sure if you’re not a competitive player that the single-player content is enough for you- but I think it will be)

Dressing up your characters will be fun, though I’m kinda upset that created chars can be used online in ranked mode.

One thing I thought this version of the game does really well is that it feels like a cross between a 2D and a 3D fighter with the emphasis on 3D in exactly the right ways. I really enjoyed the beta because of that. I mean, the last thing I ever need is more games to play, especially when this would definitely suck me in, but I’m really interested. I played so much Soul Calibur I and II, but I’ve been less into the series since then. This might get me back.

I’m curious about the PC port… it’s the only reason I haven’t preordered yet…

BTW if you want the PC version more cheaply, gamebillet has it for 17% off.

As for the PC version, I’m pretty confident. Tekken was an excellent PC port, Namco does a good job for the most part. It says a 1050 is required, but from what I’ve been hearing, a 770 will run it.

Also, online play is significantly better on PC- most of my FGC friends have sworn off non-PC netplay these days in general, but especially for Tekken. The overall PC base is smaller, and it gets skewed towards really good and really bad players, but it’s a much better experience overall.

I’ll be on the PC version if my PC can run it, which I believe it will. If it can’t, time for a new PC.

Misturugi sketch. I think I’m a little excited for the new Soul Calibur. (Though not as excited as I am for Samurai Shodown…pleasebegoodpleasebegood!)

Oh man, that is badass, merry!

Thanks!

Badass indeed it is. Thanks for sharing, merryprankster.

Is there a fighting game like the soul caliber series that has more realistic sword fighting?

Slice, Dice & Rice, maybe? Not 3D though, so not quite like Soul Calibur.

Thanks. :)

Bushido Blade is more realistic insofar as one-hit kills are not uncommon. I suspect there’s still a fair amount about it that’s more fantastical/game-y, though.

Bushido Blade. Squaresoft was a surprisingly good maker of fighting games in the 90s.

Absolver and Blade Symphony were more recent efforts though not very good.

and like merryprankster, I am very hype for SamSho. It was the game that got me started with fighters all those years ago, and I use a SamSho character as my avatar some places.

Early reports of the PC version are saying folks way below the min spec settings are getting 60FPS on max settings, hearing the game runs easier than Tekken does on PC, and Tekken’s a really good PC port.

Denuvo is the only downside, and Namco will never remove it.

Are there any concerns with cheating on the PC? We’ve got a perennial conflict in my gaming group on whether or not to buy games we want to coop on PC vs. the PS4 and we’ve had a bunch of games where we ended up on PS4 and then we all ended up happy with the decision because of the massive cheating being reported on the PC. I can’t remember all the examples, but I do remember that happened with The Division, where for a while there was massive cheating going on on the PC whereas console was fine.

I don’t think there are concerns. Ragequitters are a thing, but those are everywhere.

The biggest concern really for online play is lag, and PS4 lag is massively worse (and will be in SC6)

The input lag issues on PS4 right now are as close to what they were in SF5, with the same instability.

40% off this weekend. They’ve largely fixed the online, though the playerbase population is fairly low on PC, which is standard for these sorts of games. Gameplay is excellent though, and 2B is a great button-mash character if you like to mash buttons.

Season 2 for Soul Calibur 6 starts on the 25th. Number of balance and feature improvements.

DLC 7 is the 26th, Hilde released

The next character will be Haohmaru from Samurai Shodown.