Soundcard Help?

OK, after the "crappy SB Live " thread I figured I start a new one and ask for my own help. I’ve got the original SB live in my machine. I will say that until the last year I’ve never had any problems with it. And maybe I still don’t?

I upgraded to Win XP Home Edition about a year ago and since then I have been running into problems in just about all of my games that I think is related to sound. While in the game, any game really, the sound will suddenly start to skip and just keep repeating. It completely hangs up! I have to reboot to escape.

I’ve tried reformatting, fresh install, latest drivers, including the via 4-1 package, nothing is working. It’s to the point where I can’t play any game anymore for any length of time without this happening.

Does this seem like it may be the sound card? I’d been planning to wait for the Nforce 2, and just ditch the sound card, but I’m at the point that if it is the sound card I’m just going to go buy a Turtle Beach, or Hercules or something so I can play some games agian. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I’ve got an
AMD T-Bird 1.3
Abit KT-7
512 megs ram
Geforce 4 4200
SB live

You might want to try running your machine with just 256mb of memory, you might have a bad memory stick. Also, try turning down the acceleration slider in the control panel/sound applet. If those don’t help then I suggest the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. It was 60 dollars shipped from Newegg.com last I checked. My last machine had the same mb you have and the SC worked great. It works great with my IT7 as well. I bought mine because they had WinXP drivers at the time (whereas my SBlive did not) and have had no problems.

– Xaroc

Yeah, up until this summer I’ve never had a problem with it either. I’ve had the soundcard since they originaly came out about five years ago. It’s gone with me through about four different machines without a hitch. I’ve had my mobo for a good two years now with never a problem and the ram has been in there just as long. It’s really starting to piss me off!!! :evil:

I can still play some of the older games on my system like MOH and HOMM3&4 without a problem, and come to think of it I didn’t have any problems with NWN over the summer. Hmm?

Well, to throw in one of those anecdotal “this worked for me” responses, I had the same sort of problem for months where games would suddenly lock-up and the sound would hiss and pop loudly like some kind of Arecibo transmission, and sometimes repeat over and over. This was with an SB Audigy and a VIA 266a so not quite the same setup.

After trying just about everything with drivers, irq placements, etc, I found a post that suggested raising the core voltage on my motherboard and I haven’t had any weird lockups since. So I rather suppose in my case the sound problems were a side effect rather than the cause. You need to be careful with this though, because raising the voltage raises the chip temperature and that raises the danger of frying your chip.

I’ve had similar weirdness on my NForce 420D motherboard. The solution, at least with the NForce, is to turn off hardware acceleration in the control panel. This solves most of the problems I’ve had. On the other hand, it’s a pain to turn acceleration on and off depending on the game. :oops:

Christ, what’s the point of having a whoop-de-doo 3D sound card if you’re going to have to turn off the fancy hardware acceleration? It’s like if your 3D video card stopped working and you solved the problem by running all your games usinging the software renderer (pretend this is 5 years ago). If a card can’t work with hardware acceleration, there’s no reason to keep it. You might as well use a software based AC97 codec. You can get the Hurcules Gamesurround Muse for $38 shipped from Newegg.

Unfortunately, I had some of the same problems with my Hercules Gametheatre XP (which is a kick-ass sound card, if you can find one). I think the problem is really one of standards vs. Creative – sometimes developers cater to Creative (to the exclusion of standards), and sometimes developers cater to standards (to the exclusion of Creative). Neither seems to be a very good strategy.

Reminds me a little of the early 3D video card wars, where you had Glide, OpenGL, early Direct X, and other 3D standards competing – and some games supported one standard, others supported another. Given my personal bitterness towards Creative, I hope they go the way of 3Dfx, although, to give them credit, Creative basically created the sound card market for PCs (which is not to say that they didn’t aggressively stomp on all competition – I probably still have my Pro Audio Spectrum 16 around here somewhere…)

ASJunk