Source Code, The New Duncan Jones Movie

Spoiler alert, when the guys on the train, and he gets a gun, it different twice,

Here we go again.

I dunno if Bill’s “Here we go again.” means what I think it means, but if not:

REPORTED.

What’s be being reported for? Bad English?

Saw it yesterday. Edit: Whoops, I mean I saw it the day before yesterday. Because yesterday I saw Tous Les Soleils which was a very charming, funny movie.
I liked Moon a lot better because, while a bit slow, it had great visuals and a great premise that put a lot of attention to Sam Rockwell’s character(s).

Source Code shares a theme with Moon, namely the main character being put into the service of someone else completely against his will and his power.
But it’s a quite different movie from Moon. Source Code is an attempt at doing a more mainstream action thriller with some deeper themes, but has a lot of constraints as a result of the main gimmick. Unfortunately the plot doesn’t get the same depth that Sam Rockwell’s character in Moon did.
It has a reveal (who the bomber is) and a twist (Colter Stevens is dead) but both are pretty obvious before they’re revealed and didn’t make much of an impact to me.
The science didn’t make a whole lot of sense, but I’m willing to accept it as an excuse to ratify an awesome script like with Inception. Too bad anything done within the plot hole excuse falls a bit short.

Stevens/Fentress getting the girl was too easy. There’s no tension for Stevens to take a leap of faith since he can just go back to the last checkpoint if it fails, and whereas Bill Murray needed a lot of tries to learn how to win Andie McDowell’s heart, Christina’s heart is won over rather quickly, eg simply by virtue of being kissed.

Also I didn’t quite understand if the “You’ve been with us for two months” line was true or not. If true, then why did he only start to question things after two months when he figured them out in a much shorter time? And why does he make more progress in the time we see than in the two whole months preceding it?
If not true, did the COAC-N people really expect to motivate him into action with a memory loss story and a “It’s fine, you’ve been working here for years” story? That such a story would be enough to displace any emotional stress from being killed?

How is the scientist guy able to make Source Code work even though he very obviously has a poor understanding of it? He talks about residual memory and the 8 minute constraint, but those are proven to be wrong before the movie is halfway over. Unless that’s just another line he fed Stevens in an attempt to keep him focused on the mission. That would coincide with his apparent disinterest in anything but success and personal prestige, for sure.

All in all it was an okay movie, but not what I was hoping for given Moon.

edit2: I loved the podcast.
“Did you find the bomb?”
“What, Prince of Persia?”

Jeffery Wright’s character also repeatedly says things like “we’re running out of time in this reality” and “you can’t save them/her in this reality” from the very beginning so I think it’s clear that he’s not ignorant about what the exact nature of the Source Code is.

I believe he’d been with them for two months, but they hadn’t had a crisis come up that would require them to wake him up and use him until the start of the movie.

They were also priming him for a memory wipe directly after the disaster so even if he had been with them for 50 years at the start of each new disaster the last thing he would remember would be flying a helicopter and they’d have to go through that whole process again.

Possible spoilers:
When Jake communicates back to Goodwill on her phone via sms, he’s communicating within his new universe, not the other universe the film begins with.
Isn’t he?

That’s right, the universe he starts in the train has already crashed. In the new universe he sends the text then prevents the bomb from going off, that’s why when she goes to the office she overhears them saying they caught a bomber before he was able to set it off.

In the new universe where she gets the text they never even get a chance to send him in to the source code.

Just watched the movie and really enjoyed it. I am SO grateful I went into it blind though, I just had a vague notion that it was some sort of time loop film. After watching the trailer, I must say half the mystery of the film is destroyed right there! Just reinforced my intention to avoid ALL trailers for movies I intend on watching.

Also when they reveal that there was a second cell phone and Gyllenhall wants to go back just one more time, I was kinda worried that they would introduce a second bomber / accomplice or whatever that he needs to stop before the plug is finally pulled…

Anyway, after Moon was released wasn’t there a rumour that there would be some sort of of link in his follow up movie that would reveal a bit about Sam Rockwell’s characters fate? This film doesn’t seem far enough in the future for that to have been an option though, right? The only connection I noticed was the Chesney Hawkes song (One and only).

Actually, my understanding was that they totally had come up with a crisis several times, but he keeps stopping them and resetting reality. Or not. Photon milk.

Er, no, I didn’t get that at all. This was definately the first crisis.

In which Universe?

In the one the movie begins in.

The one on the train that they think is just source code? Then yes!

(Wheeee this film)

That was definitely my take on what was going on, for what it’s worth.

So, despite the fact that Jeffrey Wright’s character says a number of times that this is their chance to prove that the Source Code project can work and help them prevent something terrible from happening, both you and Bill think that it has been used many times in the past to prevent or stop crises from happening?

Indeed - since in the new timeline, the disaster would have been averted, and there would never be any crisis or any need of the project.

Funding must be a bitch for them!

HA! Exactly.