South Korean man dies after 50-hour gaming spree


SEOUL (Reuters) - A South Korean man who played computer games for 50 hours almost non-stop died of heart failure minutes after finishing his mammoth session in an Internet cafe, authorities said Tuesday.

The 28-year-old man, identified only by his family name Lee, had been playing on-line battle simulation games at the cybercafe in the southeastern city of Taegu, police said.

Lee had planted himself in front of a computer monitor to play on-line games on Aug. 3. He only left the spot over the next three days to go to the toilet and take brief naps on a makeshift bed, they said.

“We presume the cause of death was heart failure stemming from exhaustion,” a Taegu provincial police official said by telephone.

Lee had recently quit his job to spend more time playing games, the daily JoongAng Ilbo reported after interviewing former work colleagues and staff at the Internet cafe.

After he failed to return home, Lee’s mother asked his former colleagues to find him. When they reached the cafe, Lee said he would finish the game and then go home, the paper reported.

He died a few minutes later, it said.

50 hours? Pussy.

/edit. My condolences to the family and I hope his mother does not read these threads. Wait, there is no way in hell she does. Pussy.

This kind of thing is why I only game for 49 hours at a stretch.

Wuss. :P

Shame on everyone this guy knew for not getting him help when he quit his job to play games. Hopefully they’ll feel bad about it for the rest of their lives.

That won’t be long. “Everyone this guy knew” are probably somewhere in the vicinity of hour 43, themselves.

What a wuss. This guy lasted 86 hours.

Wuss. :P[/quote]
I figure on extending my time once I get that automatic usb defibrillator hooked up.

Wuss. :P[/quote]
I figure on extending my time once I get that automatic usb defibrillator hooked up.[/quote]
I hear Starforce games cause it to malfunction, so be careful!

Oof, think about what Starforce might do to the USB Colostomy Bag. :shock:

Goodness. I wonder if he was using stimulants or something to keep going?

This happens like once a week over there.

Is there any way we can blame Rockstar for this?

I think my max is a 16 hour session, with like an hour break in there somewhere. WoW, naturally.

Weird, considering how common insomnia is 48 hours with a few naps doesn’t seem like much. I’ve gamed for 2 days before, and in general have often gotten by on little sleep for 48 hour – all it takes is 1 or 2 nights with just a couple hours of sleep, which isn’t hard to come by for parents with small or sick kids. I used to do this all the time as a student too, when I was dumb enough to put everything off until the end.

Makes me wonder if this guy was already sick, much like those who get a heart attack after jumping from the sauna into cold water.

My guess is that it was the combination of lack of sleep, lack of food and constant pressure due to adrenalin.

Hoping that I pitch this at the correct level of heartlessness for this thread, two points:

  • He only died after he stopped. The lesson is clear

  • He left the PC for toilet breaks? and NAPS?? Does this really count as a 50 hour session?

I sense a Guinness Record in the works.

I think it’s safe to assume that anyone willing to stay up for 50 hours playing a game has probably put off sleeping for gaming on many previous occasions. Constantly not getting enough sleep damages your body over time, so it’s possible the guy just already had enough punishment and crapped out on this marathon. Plus, if he was taking in massive amounts of caffeine or other stimulants to stay awake that wouldn’t have helped matters much, either.

The “world record” for DDR is 13 hours.

For some reason I thought it would be much longer.