South Park: The Fractured But Whole

[B]http://blog.ubi.com/meet-ubisoft-studio-sf/

[/B]I’m of two minds about this. More South Park RPG? YAYYYYY! No Obsidian? Hmmm.

I actually got really annoyed with the gameplay of the first one. I was having a blast and laughing my ass off, but the combat and the QTE stuff was just outside of my comfort zone (I generally hate when I have to press a button at a specific time, by and by, because I suck at that for some reason) so this is sort of off my radar for now. I should just watch a Let’s Play of The Stick of Truth, treat it like a super long episode or something.

Perhaps Ubi figured out this could be done very affordably as long as the SP creators were up for the work.

If I had to guess, a lot of the Stick of Truth art and map structure will get re-used. I expect little to change, but the Canada thing really needs not to happen again. But there’s no reason to fundamentally change the existing art (since it was faithful to the show in the first place), combat machanics, or RPG systems.

“The Fractured But Whole” sounds like a message someone left in Dark Souls. :)

Speaking of South Park…Season 19 is the best in a long time.

No South Park thread in Movies and TV? Odd. I would have thought by now someone would have started one.

Matt and Trey dev diary:

The Canada thing was the best part. Something like that should happen again.

X1000 for me. If Stick of Truth had been great turn based combat, it would have been fantastic. The Obsidian thing… SOT was so good, because there were so many RPG tropes that were just spot on the money, and it was a lot of atmosphere stuff…the music and feel of the “tavern” for example…just nailed it. That’s a tenuous thing, that I’ll bet doesn’t get done properly.

The joke only lasts a few seconds…

…but supposedly they’re actually bringing these to Gamescom for a one-off demo.

I have to tip my hat to them. Usually the interactive branding dollars go to some shitty F2P spinoff or something.

The production values on that are pretty impressive.

Oh man, I wish we could control other people’s Nosulus Rifts.

Delayed to next year.

http://blog.ubi.com/south-park-fractured-whole-update/

[quote]
South Park: The Fractured But Whole will now launch on Xbox One, Playstation 4 and PC, calendar Q1 2017. The development team wants to make sure the game experience meets the high expectations of fans and the additional time will help them achieve this goal.[/quote]

I am ok with this, I still haven’t played the first one, and I am 3 season behind on the show.

Early December (really, anything after Black Friday) is a terrible time to release a game anyway. So if it makes for a better product, I can’t complain.

Delayed again. From Q1 2017, it’s moving to sometime in FY2018, putting it somewhere between April 2017 and March 2018.

New trailer, and new official release date: October 17, 2017.

A shame it’s not coming earlier, but if all these delays were needed to make a better game, so be it.

I always hope delays mean that they really care about the game and want to make it great, but the cynical side of me just keeps saying ‘the game is a horrible mess, and has so many critical path bugs they can’t release it yet’.