Space Beast Terror Fright: the realtime Space Hulk...that's too much for one person?

Hi all, since this thread went over like a lead balloon, here’s the promised thread dedicated to the (still early access, but quite playable) game specifically, and, since it’s multiplayer only, the seeking and finding of Qt3 people to play it with vs. teaming up with internet total randos.

In case you’re unaware of what this game is, think of it, more or less, as a rogue-like game version of the “bug hunt” in Aliens (1986), its clear inspiration:

I’m interested in playing it, and I’m in the US Pacific time zone. Hit me up via PM if you want to play it too.

Anyone play this ? How does it compare to say Natural Selection 2?

Check out some of the Thursday LAN Party videos on Brian’s channel. Here’s the most recent one:

It looks like you can play by yourself just fine. Granted I’m sure it’s more enjoyable with multiple people.

Especially since if you go down while playing solo, no one’s coming to revive you (there are no bots).

They’re…not really at all the same? This is more akin to Space Hulk.

No way this is as awesome as Purple Chicken Spaceman, though.

Who did the Rick and Morty voice? That was hilarious!

If it was the “I don’t know, Rick!” comment not too far in that was Hunter from the podcast.

Thank you! It totally made my ever-lovin’ day!

Space Beast Terror Fright has left early access.

Amazing game. Absolutely amazing.

!!!

I never thought I’d see this day. It brings a tear to my eye. sniff

I should confess I have sampled this often during its early access period. I just couldn’t help myself. It’s just so goddamn good at what it’s doing.

-Tom

Tom loving it indicates this must be a genuinely terrifying experience, unlike what the campy title tries to make us believe.

Well, the trailer does say it will “melt your face” and since I like mine just fine I think this game contains too much fright for me. 🙈

Space Beast Terror Fright is indeed terrifying. It does exactly what it says on the tin and does it with aplomb. It’s also hilarious with the right group.

It is amazing. I just wish it had bots. OTOH playing with real people is the only way to keep from having to replace your underwear after a session.

One of the unlockables is a very short message from the developer saying he’s messed around with bot support and it’s possible it might end up as a part of the game someday in some way or another but not to get our hopes up. In other words, there will never be bots in Space Beast Terror Fright. :(

Which is a shame, because this is turning out to be untenable as a single-player game. I was hoping the early access period would result in something with more actual game padding, with some kind of structure to guide a player into these fantastic space hulk vignettes, or at least connective tissue to string them together. But no such thing happened. It still feels like a tech demo. A totally bitchin’ tech demo with a goodly number of systems to flex. But still just a tech demo.

I’m slightly dismayed to see that what we saw is pretty much all we got.

-Tom

I just posted this in the videos about videogames thread and thought it was great:

Great vid about a great game. We streamed the latest version of the game recently and had a wonderful time.