Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Thanks.

And thanks!

Hello my friends, and welcome to another week of spacey gaming! Since it’s Independence Day today here in the States, I figured what better game to do this week than 1997’s amazing Independence War (I-War) from Particle Systems! Yay!

On the podcast this week (Tuesday, 5:30 PDT, YouTube, Twitch and Beam), we’ll be talking to one (or hopefully more, I’m not 100% yet) of the people who worked directly on one of my favorite games, Klingon Academy!

This week’s poll on what I should play Thursday evening at 5:30 PM PDT (YouTube, Twitch and Beam) exclusively includes games I got in the Steam sale, so head on over and vote! :)

Thanks for your time friends!

At what time are you playing this, Brian? I’m off to check YouTube Gaming in case it’s right now.

Oh I played it the other day, this isn’t live. :-\ Sorry!

No worries, I just misunderstood.

Brian, as much as I know some folks appreciate these announcements, I’m running into issues where I’m asking other people not to bump threads with announcements when there are other ways they can be followed: Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, an actual site, and so on. So in the interest of being fair across the board, I’m happy to have you use this thread to discuss anything you like, please don’t use it to post regular announcements.

-Tom

You got it!

Ok Empyrion actually has eaten up three days now of solid of gaming fun. I heard this one was pretty rough when it first came out, well its still a bit rough now but WOW the scope and current fun to be had is great. Do yourself a favour and play without spoilers or guides (or use them sparingly) there is a lot of great fun to be had here.

It has shades of Mercenary- Escape from Targ for those who remember that game.

There are some epic moments to be had here, which I wont spoil, but you really feel you have earnt new locations and new kinds of things to craft.

Good times, good times.

Hi, it’s Phaserlight (honest! I’m having trouble accessing my other account. My signup email must have been a strange account that’s no longer active). Part 3 of my VO retrospective is up. That is all.

LIES. WHO ARE YOU?!

So Mr. Rubin-- how is Starpoint Gemini Warlords doing these days? I know it’s in EA, but are they working on it pretty regularly?

Post a pic of your manta, Brian. :)

Need some opinions.

Cosmonautica looks good on Steam. The screenshots etc seem like something I will like. But the reviews are horrendous. Anyone here tried this? Mr Rubin?

Sorry for the delay man, been a crazy time at the ol’ homestead (houseguests, one of which is a 2 year old).

Warlords is coming along nicely. Last time I played it was a lot of fun, and they’ve been constantly adding stuff. It fixes a lot of the problems I had with SG2, and has a lot more to it as well, such as empire management (which I’ve yet to get to). Overall I’m really digging it.

I’ll try to remember to do so over the next few days.

Sadly the game is, ultimately, REALLY boring. The biggest problem is that the journeys between planets are INSANELY uninteresting. A much better option, if you want a game like this, is Interstellaria, I feel. The Sentient is also a solid choice. Starbound might also hit a similar note.

Thanks Brian. Glad you played it so that it saves the rest of us from going through the boring ones.

That’s what I’m here for! :)

On sale now, 33% off, still early access though. I am tempted…

I’m tempted as well, although God knows when I’ll have time to play all these games. Soldiers in war say “I’ll sleep when I’m dead,” but I don’t know if that quite works for playing computer games.

Well this game just hit Kickstarter, and I love the idea of how it doles out quests/missions (through being aware of the environment, news alerts, etc).

Brian,what say ye about Concealed Intent? 1.0 drops today, and the developers describe it as “Homeworld meets Frozen Synapse”, which sound pretty nifty to me.

Jaguar over at Out of Eight has his review up this morning, and his tastes pretty much run along the same lines as my own, but a second opinion, like yours would be helpful too.