Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

They’re both worth owning because they’re both fairly different. While both have space and planetary management, IG1 has you starting off as an officer with a small fleet, growing into more responsibilities, while IG2 is more a traditional 4X. Both are awesome.

No idea, but it looks nice

That looks like Wings of Saint Nazaire, but since the dev is working with the Rebel galaxy guys now, I guess it’s their next project?

Be aware that the Imperium Galactica II Alliances is the tablet/phone version of IE2, and thus lacks a few things like all the voiceovers.

Hey as long as it works without crashing at the research or ship design screen every damned time - - which is what happened at my recent attempt to play my disk version - - there’ll be no complaints from me.

Not sure. I’m a joystick and keyboard man. And they worked great with joystick and keyboard back in the day.

The line I always remember from Tachyon The Fringe is Bruce Campbell saying “Viva New Vegas baby”.

That looks fantastic. I love the way the ship turns and you see the sunlight highlighting different parts of the frost on the glass of the cockpit.

Dunno what it is but I know I want it.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but we haven’t seen this kind of fast, smooth, Wing Commander-style cockpit action since the release of Tachyon: The Fringe, right? Darkstar One kind of tried to do so, but never felt quite right. Of course, this being just a gif, I suppose maybe this one will end up feeling like Darkstar One, but I don’t think so. There’s several details in that gif that make it feel just right, very reminiscent of Wing Commander games more so than the Star Wars/Tie Fighter games for example.

A couple games have tried to capture that kind of old school action. In my opinion the one that’s come closest is this one:

But yeah, those games today are few and far between.

Hey friends, hope y’all don’t mind a bit of pimping, but I’m chiming in to invite y’all to this Sunday’s first Monthly MMO Meetup featuring Jumpgate, which is free to play! I’d love it if you could join us. :) Thanks!

I’d argue House of the Dying Sun is pretty much that fast, smooth, old-school Wing Commander type of action space shooter/arcade sim.

Oh right, yeah, forgot about that one.

Yeah, and I totally understand why. ;)

I don’t know why. Enlighten me! Is it not worth getting if you just want to enjoy some old school Wing Commander action?

Oh nice! Thanks Brian. I’ve never heard of this one. And it seems like most people on Steam haven’t either. It has less than 30 reviews. (And yours is one of them!)

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that few reviews for a game on Steam before. Especially one that’s been out for almost 3 years.

It is - Tom Chick mentioned it in his “The Most Surprising Games of 2016” list, and I’ve seen him singing its praises in other places as well.

Now, Brian and I followed the game when it was still called “Enemy Starfighter”, and it was supposed to have an open, dynamic world in which choosing/picking your fights was just as important as the moment-to-moment action. Sadly, though, the dev scrapped that in favor of static (and non-branching) missions, which is good if you want Wing Commander, and not so good when what you longed for is something like a good, rich, dynamic evolution of Wing Commander: Armada.

Perhaps the dev will build on the initial release to deliver that original vision in a subsequent title?

Yeah, this. I actually still have an early alpha of Enemy Starfighter around somewhere. Keeping that until I die.

Sadly I don’t think this is likely.