Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

At that price and with all the good buzz I really couldn’t pass up Drox Operative. Here’s hoping I figure out how to play it. Any tips for beginners?

Didn’t realize that, thanks.

On Drox Operative, getting started is kind of confusing. I think I have basic controls set up in a way that works. Wasn’t sure how I was supposed to distinguish friendlies, but it seems like they will always have an icon over them? Is it possible to target friendlies by accident?

There are a lot of tutorial popups, make sure to read them, and take it slow around the first system until you get your bearings/familiar with combat.

Using a mouse I believe so? I use a gamepad, which is sublime, and you only shoot at enemies that way.

Brian, can you tell me how your game pad is set up? Did you go into joystick setup or is there some other method?

It’s in the options. I can look when I get home.

It all works really well though, right trigger for main weapon, left trigger for secondary weapon (mines are my favorite). Colored buttons to open up the map, quests and such. The sticks can also act as a cursor for quick stuff like clicking on planets to scan them, for example. I have my right stick set up for a cursor (and click for a mouse click) and left stick for movement. The bumper buttons are set up for “potions” like health and energy.

Also, there’s a Drox specific thread if it’ll help:

Maybe you could take a screenshot if it isn’t too much trouble?

This looks helpful:

+1

(on the Discourse part as well).

Edit to add: thanks for the guide @Misguided!

Yeah, that guide is pretty good. It had a lot of stuff I hadn’t figured out (like not having realized you only upgrade rather than replace your ship).

The game feels pretty overwhelming right now because so much is happening around you without your input.

IIRC, it was written by the guy who did the art for the game.

Thanks!

Wait, what do you have against Discourse? I was just telling someone earlier that it is probably my favorite forum program.

Discourse thinks it understand grammar usage better than mere mortals like us and is set up with minimum post lengths, so it refuses to accept posts like “Sold!” Or “+1”. Those remarks are simply sacrifices to the forum overlords to accept our humble scribblings.

Ahhh, that makes more sense. I’m not a “+1” type person so have never ran across that issue.

To be clear, I am not a +1 person either, just wanted to add that this thread made another sale for the game. Really no good way to say it and I wanted forum goers to know I appreciated their input.

Admittedly, I just assumed that was what happened in your case, lol. Seemed like the logical explanation.

On subject, Drox is bewildering at first, but feels like it will definitely be worthwhile once you get the hang of it (in part because of the stuff that’s so confusing at the outset).

I am fighting with the controls. Seemed like K&M was the way the game was designed (with set up from that guide), but playing around with it, it didn’t feel natural. Going to have to take Brian’s recommendation and find my controller.

Same. What worked for me was setting a thrust toggle and having the ship always follow the mouse. That feels pretty good. Haven’t had a chance to fuss with a controller again yet.

Kind of want to restart to get a Drakk ship for the fighter bay slot.

By the way, what’s the deal with light components? Haven’t seen a one.

I could never get into Drox at all.

FeelsBadMan