Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

What’s the current state of the art for big, pretty, spaceship flying games. Is Elite:Dangerous good yet? Should I just go play Rebel Galaxy? I want to plug a joystick in and see pretty space stuff while I fly around.

If that’s all you want, without any actual gameplay? Elite will do fine.

If you want to do fun stuff as well? Rebel Galaxy is better.

Cool. I already own Rebel Galaxy.

Also friends, I put together a list of what I feel are the best space game deals of the sale. I hope y’all find it useful!

I noticed X-Rebirth on your list. Is that game good now?

I shockingly did enjoy it last time I played, yes.

It’s much better than at release, and generally quite enjoyable. It’s not as deep as Albion Prelude, but it is far more approachable. I think it’s pretty good now and I’ll defend most of it.

That said, try to resist the urge to quit the game when you hear “can I see your wares pleeease” for the umpteenth time. I hear there’s a mod that removes that and the “shut up betty” line you’ll hear hundreds of times in the ship, which likely makes that mod the best mod ever made.

Doing the lord’s work, right there.

Did they fix the fleet combatt? Last time i played i was raging at how my capitals did a stare fight against the enemy instead of, you know, shooting.

I don’t know because I haven’t got yet to the point where I have a fleet having big combat. I think they did, though.

During the campaign, there were moments with capital ship combat (one of them with one of my capitals involved) and it seemed to work just fine for me. In fact, it was very Battlestar Galactica-ish, which can only be a good thing. :)

Great list, Brian. I just want to add that anyone who doesn’t have Drox Operative by now is doing it wrong.

Umm, in case anyone missed it, I’m giving away my free Rebel Galaxy key from GOG (maybe everyone has it already?): Giveaway thread!

Eh. I played it. It was fun for a few hours, but ultimately not all that interesting. Maybe I’m missing something.

MORE LIKE EVERYTHING.

Seriously man, you’re playing a mercenary inside a 4X game. How cool is that?

I’d rather have a new Escape Velocity.

You and me both.

I am sure you have but just in case you havent seen it this is decent.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/404410/Endless_Sky/

I notice Empyrion Galactic Survival is not on there, what’s your take?

That’s actually an omission on my part, I’ll add it now. Best game of its little subgenre, I think.

What subgenre is that? “Unfinished survival games”? It’s a massive field…