Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

@BrianRubin , basically

That is really the perfect GIF.

Got Beyond Sol and Star Chronicles

Found mysef on Star Chronicles. The figuring of the game mechanics got me hooked. 1.5 hrs in and still very interested. Hope it have legs.

I’ll probably pick Boss Constructor over Reassembly.

Elite Dangerous is a thing that people will play in the PS4.

Ohhh, good choice, I found that to be a fun little chess-like roguelike with spaceships.

I’m vaguely interested in Sol Trader, but I don’t know if I’m that interested considering the ridiculous backlog, which I just added to yesterday.

Probably no PC gaming today, alas, since Portland decided to have a 100 degrees both-days-weekend-only heat wave (at least it’s normal dry summer heat for Portland), and my PC is upstairs in my bedroom. No A/C since here we’d use it maybe two weeks tops, but that may be changing thanks to Anthropogenic Climate Change --last few summers we’ve gotten a lot more hot AND muggy days in the summer, which SUH-UCK. If I wanted to live east of the Mississippi I would, thank you.

Sol Trader is an unique game for a specific taste. Permit me tell you a little about it.

First off its a near space game. The Solar System is colonized and various factions spring up from earth to the outer worlds. Second every person in Sol Trader has a sims like life. They fall in love, get married , have kids, make enemies, friends, have their own houses you can visit all of which dynamically changes during the game. As does the in game economy.

The game is 2d using asteroids controls but comes with an auto pilot so you can just click on your local destination, hit auto and off you go.

The game has many missions to complete mainly you use to increase faction or make someone like you. In addition you can get a job to gain credits and rise in the ranks in a factory or starport or bar for example.

Sol Trader is LOW budget. It is a one man game and it shows , it is unbalanced, the beginning game is very hard, the missions are hard often you playing detective trying to find someone who you need to deliver a package or message to only to discover she moved offworld last month to another colony then go find her there.

The game doesnt leave my mac hard drive. I play it once every few months, enjoy myself then leave it. I find it a unique and interesting game.

For those who may be interested there will be a developer’s live stream of Battlestar Galactica Deadlock Wed. 11AM PST.

I’ve been playing with the beta since Monday, and there are some things I’m just not grokking, so I hope to be watching it with the rest of you.

@BrianRubin, do you know anything at all about this game? It looks like it’s a new release and it looks incredible. It appears to have elements of Starflight and Star Control that I loved. I’d probably just get it right now if it was on sale. Look at this from one of the reviews:

You can land on a planet and gather resources or life-forms, engage in fleet battles, chart wormholes, answer distress signals, board other ships, repair those ships and get new crew, capture ships, trade, engage in diplomacy, upgrade your ships, buy new ships and weapons, gather research, send probes into anomalies, attack starbases and outposts, unlock artifacts and special abilities. The list of things to do goes on, and on, and on! The tutorial is long but only because the game is so complex, expansive, with such a steep learning curve. I can tell right now I could sink 200 hours gameplay into this before unlocking the highest level races and artifacts.

UI is well-designed and all aspects of the game involve deep strategic gameplay, except for the minigames (revolving around resource gathering), which range from simple strategy to twitch gameplay. The minigames stand in stark contrast to the rest of the game, but I suppose they’re a nice diversion from the otherwise cerebral, airmchair commander gameplay.

Very, very well-done game, but it’s only for a niche crowd. Think Starflight (from the 1980s) but with much deeper gameplay, lots of stats and number crunching, and a fleet of 3-10 ships instead of just one. Highly recommended!

Yes. Buy it. ;-)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/brianrubin/recommended/459610/

We’re also having the developer on our podcast next week if you wanna wait for that.

Haha, I should have known you’d be all over this one. I’ll check out your podcast on it and this is now a must-buy for me.

Yay! Yeah, it totally scratches that Starflight/Star Control itch.

So Interstellar Space: Genesis (formerly Project Space Sector) will begin pre-orders on 7/12.

Oh good. I was getting worried. It’s been over a month since the last space-based 4X tbs release.

Dude, this one is ALSO inspired by Master of Orion 2.

Moo2 was the best 4x game of its time but also the worst thing that happened to the 4x genre as a whole.

Now that I’ve spent more time with both games, I’m still bewildered that more devs don’t try to emulate the superior first game.

That’s different then. NOW I’m excited.

Explain please?

Not just that though. It is also the “spiritual successor” it says so right on the site!!! :)