Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Crapity crap, my wishlist is too long.

Okay, so does anyone know the name of the following game?:

• 2D/top-down, you board a ship, do a mission and escape
  • silly trailer video, including commentary about kicking enemies out windows
  • you gain tech/powers to do various things, including a transporter swap to change places with an opponent

Heat Signature

Gah! That’s it - thanks :)

Oh, and so I don’t feel left out…

Heat Signature is fantastic. I love it. It loves me.

I couldn’t really get into it.
It felt like a nice concept, but just wasn’t that interesting : I didn’t find the top down fighting very satisfying, with its floppyness (excepting, strangely, for the wrenches), and the difficulty was totally random. Yet, losing didn’t feel like it had much of any implication. Which might be linked to the “strategic” layer, which I think is kind of a mess.
I bounced off it so much, I feel that I must have misunderstood something about the game and that I am bad.

I’m enjoying Heat Signature a lot. I bought it with my Helium Rain refund. It even has docking just like Helium Rain. Except that it’s fun, not incredibly annoying. :)

I think Helium Rain is great, and you don’t ever need to dock manually again if you buy the docking upgrade (which you can do in the first couple hours of the game). And manual docking isn’t any worse than any of the lockpicking minigames in Western RPGs of late. I liked what they were trying to do, and I appreciate that the game gives you the option to never dock manually again beyond a certain point. :)

Anyway… refunding Helium Rain: booooo. Buying Heat Signature: yaaaaaaay!

I enjoyed this. Maybe other spaaaaaaace gamers will too.

Oh heads up if you are around kids etc. Yamiks swears a lot.

Don’t show this to Chris Roberts…

Btw: That game looks awesome :)

Looks like the Rebel Galaxy team have a untitled game in the same universe:

Lovely.

OMG so many thruster’s on that ship, hnnnnggggggggggggg.

Since Starflight came up in the Star Control thread, has anyone heard anything else about someone possibly working on it since it was teased by Brian Fargo last year?

Sadly not a peep since then.

Between that, what the Rebel Galaxy folks are working on, and the Star Control inspired games. Good space gaming ahoy!

I still find it all hard to believe.

There was Star Control 3 vaporware back in the day? I had no idea! (This is from a 1995 issue of PC Gamer)

https://archive.org/stream/UneditedPCGamer_marktrade/PC_Gamer_019u#page/n169/mode/2up

I think I remember that. The one with the puppets, right?

Ranks right up there with the old Bioforge expansion.

Yep. I suspect someone with some sense looked at the concept before going ahead with it and said, “Nah, people won’t like that.” Shame it never released.