Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Brooski
I mean absolutely no offense to @BrianRubin as he does some wonderful videos, but if you want to play Scavenger SV-4 I wouldn’t watch any Let’s Plays. I would just play it.

–Snip–

Well, since we aren’t actually talking about this game anywhere except once or twice in the Quarterlies thread, I’ll just reply to this instance and run with it.

I went into this game completely blind based on a suggestion made by @Brooski. Because of this I honestly had no idea what to do, or what my goal was until after my first game. I’ve played about 10 games, and tend to be doing better and better on each go.

These are the scores I’ve accumulated thus far (most of the names are randomly generated by the game, I’m not that creative):

I don’t know if this is good or bad, but it’s progress, dammit!

It wasn’t until my 6th or 7th game I actually cracked open the manual, and lo and behold, the guy that made this game actually did a fantastic job populating that sucker with words. I only gave it a brief skim, but it’s pretty informative, especially compared with the crap passed off by most AAA companies now days.

Anyway, the game described itself this way on Steam:

Scavenger SV-4 is a highly replayable atmospheric first-person science fiction game. Part simulator, part roguelike, it has elements of action, combat, resource management, and a dash of horror. It is not quite like any game you have played before.

And based on this, I’m not sure I’m playing the game correctly, because I’m not sure it’s going to be ‘highly replayable.’ Every game feels exactly the same, with my typical play-through being minor variations of this:

Read ship log.
Launch rover.
Check health status.
Pick up a few items.
Recall rover.

Check health status and clean radiation poisoning.
Research new items on Rover.
Equip some items on Rover.
Launch Rover.

Pick up a few more items.
Recall Rover.
Check health status and clean radiation poisoning.
Fly home because I’ve got something like 1000~1500 rads I can’t heal.

There must be more to the game than this, but so far nothing has presented itself. I have killed and looted a couple aliens with a flame cannon and whatnot, but their loot seems on par with loot I find anywhere else. And I’m guessing my ultimate goal is to find some big valuable artifact or something and bring it home, at least based on my typical logs, but the location of such artifacts tend to elude me.

I’ve also been trying to play with radios and other sensors/scanners more, but the omni-directional ones seem all but useless, and the directional ones seem super rare and hard to come by.

But I’ll keep chipping away at the game for now, it did take the developer 5 years to make, and I’d find it hard to believe that this would be all there is to the game.