Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Wooooooo, how could I forget that one! The music is half of the awesomeness of that intro.

That and the sad, sad voice of fleet command.

So friends, it’s been a helluva week, so it took me an extra long time to put a dispatch together, but a lot has happened over the last week. New games, lots of dev updates, tons of patches and so on. I hope y’all find this useful.

OH, also, this just arrived:

Because I wanna play some Star Wars Galaxies: Legends. I had an abandonware version of the installation media – which the game requires – but the launcher doesn’t wanna work with that anymore, so I shelled out for the real deal. Worth it.

Independence War II had some awesome spaceship reveals. The home base reveal especially blew me away at the time.

Since you were a scrappy band of down-on-their-luck rogues, every new ship was precious!

Hey friends, welcome back to another week of spacey gaming! This week we have only one new game of the week – because I’m sick and so low of energy – but I still had a wonderful time with the fantastic Voidship: The Long Journey! This week also marks the beginning of a new long-play series. Since Freespace 2 turns twenty this year, I realized I’d not played Descent: Freespace since it originally came out, so over the next several months, I’m gonna play through the entire campaign and Silent Threat expansion using the Freespace Open ports. Finally, tomorrow I’ll have a video up of Starsector because…

This week on the Podcast (Tuesday, 5:00 PM Pacific, Twitch, YouTube, Mixer), we welcome the developer of the amazing, AMAZING space sandbox that is Starsector!

Finally, on Thursday’s LAN Party (Thursday, 5:00 PM Pacific, Twitch, YouTube, Mixer), we’ll return to the hilarity that is Divinity: Original Sin.

Thanks for being awesome y’all!

AAHHHHH

HOLY SHIT THIS BUNDLE YOU GUYS

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/strategy-legends-bundle

For the lazy: Distant Worlds Universe, Pandora, and Star Hammer.

Brian, I know you hate Distant Worlds, but can you elaborate on Star Hammer? I don’t remember it.

Turn based tactical ship combat. Same folks that made Battlestar Galactica Deadlock.

Oh nice! Is it as good? (I’m going to get this anyway because I have neither of the other two but they’re on my list.)

The campaign isn’t as fleshed out, but the tactical gameplay is just about the same goodness as in BSGD. Definitely worth owning.

WISHLIST IT YOU MOTHERFUCKERS.

how is the combat handled in this one Brian? I notice the Steam page says it is not a fast-paced space shooter and there is no mouse aiming.

Which game?

Sorry… Astrox Imperium

Oh, I’ve not done any combat in it yet, but if it’s like the first game, it’s more hands off. Like an older MMO or EVE.

Thanks although I never played EVE…but more hands off seems more suited to me.

Yeah, basically you select a target and select which weapon to shoot at it.