Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Noted.

I need a guide to all of these new space exploration games. Other than some being 2D, they all blur together. @BrianRubin how can you remember one from the others? How do I know what to buy? (Descriptions from Steam).

Astrox Imperium Climb from your cryo-pod and enter the Void… Astrox Imperium is a space based rpg that offers familiar game play in an open-world universe. With tons of ships, upgrades, and options, being lost in space might just be fun.

Helium Rain Trade your wares and eliminate the competition in a cutthroat world. Buy new ships and stations to mine and haul resources. Explore the vast emptiness of space.

Star Valor Take control of your own spaceship, with a vast galaxy to explore, mine, quest, trade, fight and even craft your own weapons. Start small, improve, complete missions, gather allies (or hire mercenaries), grow big and powerful.

Gaia Beyond Gaia Beyond is a handcrafted 2D Action-RPG, an exploration mix built around the core features fighting, mining and trading. Your decisions are footprints within a vast non-linear solar system. Forge alliances among numerous factions and develop relations with hundreds of NPCs.

Objects in Space Objects in Space is a retro space game centred on 2D point-and-click stealth action in a massive open world. Players have their own customisable ships and can meet people, become a trader, bounty hunter, explorer, scavenger or all of them at once.

If I was gonna buy two of those, it’d be Astrox Imperium and Helium Rain, but you can’t really go wrong with any of them.

Thanks. I still can’t really tell one from the others. But I guess a glut of Space Ranger-ish games isn’t a bad thing. Maybe its a golden age!

Same. These are two damn fine games.

Objects in Space is Red Storm Rising combined with Privateer, in a deliberately low-fi presentation. Highly recommended.

That’s a hell of an endorsement - wishlisted.

Wait - what does stealth action mean in this context?

It means controlling your emissions by controlling/throttling your ship’s systems. Directly. As in flipping switches. Or manually replacing broken components. So sure, you’re your ship’s captain. But you’re the navigator, the sensor officer, the weapons officer, and, oh yeah, definitely the chief engineer.

It’s nifty and unique. It really is RSR '89 in space.

If you recreate your list in the form of a table, it would make for a great FANDOM article. I know there is a bare bones list (not a table sadly) for “tactics” RPGs already.

That sounds really cool, will definitely have to pick this one up.

This comes out of Early Access today. I haven’t even looked at it since I first bought it last year some time, so I’ll be curious to see what they did with 1.0.

I played the tutorials the other day, first time Id loaded the game up in ages, and wow, it looked so much more polished than before.

Forgot I even had it until I saw the update the other day. Will have to fire it up again.

So I did a strange little Vendetta Online live stream and ended up getting my ass kicked by the AI:

So, it’s just now in Early Access. I’m tempted, at 17.99.

Is good, you buy.

I’ll take it under advisement.

I said is good. You buy.

I worry about my children. Who will take care of them while I play this game?

How old are they?