Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Well, I decided that I love 3030 so much, I’m willing to start it from the beginning. So that’ll be next Friday’s stream. ;)

In IWar 2 you kind of slide around/drift like a hockey player. Combat is also slower.

In the SPG series once you discover the auto-fire ability of turrets the combat gets kind of boring and repetitive in its own way. In a game where you’re controlling capital ships I prefer Homeworld/Nexus-style combat.

Any opinions for Crying Suns?

So after finally having some time with Crying Suns, I’ve come to a conclusion. It’s not good. It’s not bad.

It’s boring.

After maybe 30-40 minutes, I felt like I’d seen everything, and for the rest of my time with it, I WAS SO BORED. Like, I was so excited to be done with it, that’s how bored I was. It’s a shame, it’s pretty, well-written and has some fun gameplay elements. BUT IT IS SO BORING. Ugh.

Thank you for your service.

I didn’t want to be the downer in the thread, but yeah that was my experience from playing the demo ~4 months ago. The combat was both simple and and unenjoyable and difficult to parse, while the away missions took about 10x longer to resolve than they should have.

You hit the nail on the head. Combat didn’t feel compelling, the characters were just some stats and skills, planetary exploration was so hands off as to be a snore and none of the RNG made any sense. Why does one planet need piloting to avoid danger, and the next, engineering?

Demo was updated on Sept. 5, and it sounds like the demo you played had the old planetary exploration system.

Hello my wonderful friends, and welcome back to another week of mostly spacey gaming! :) This week’s game of the week is the recently-released FTL-like, Crying Suns! I’ll also try to get up videos of Corpoct and some other games as the week goes on.

This week is also the final week of our month-long celebration of Freespace 2, our first videos for the week are Resurgence Renegade and Revenge: Final Conflict, and we’ll also be covering The Scroll of Atankharzim, Solaris and many more. This will lead up to next Monday’s all day stream of the entire retail Freespace 2 campaign (provided I can do it all in one day).

Moving on from pre-recorded content, here’s this week’s streaming schedule (please remember all times are Pacific):

• Monday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Tachyon: The Fringe stream.
  • Tuesday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Cube World stream. 5:00 PM - Talking about our first space games for the podcast!
  • Wednesday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Fantasy General II stream.
  • Thursday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Far Cry 2 stream. 5:00 PM, Dying Light LAN Party broadcast.
  • Friday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, 3030 Deathwar Redux stream.

You can see all of our planned upcoming streams and events on our calendar, as always!

You can watch any of these streams on Twitch, YouTube, Mixer and Steam.

That should do it for this coming week my amazing friends. Thanks so much for everything, and I hope to see y’all in the comments or the community. Have a great week!

Huh, Battlestar Galactica coming to Switch. I think this is the first Matrix game on a console ever.

That’s a good move on Matrix/Slitherine’s part, I can see that working pretty well.

Freespace 2 is free on GOG right now y’all. Get it and then get the Knossos launcher to play it in its HD glory!

Also, here’s the latest Knossos launcher with the info on how to install it.

https://fsnebula.org/knossos/

Basically, install FS2, then install Knossos, tell it where FS2 lives. Then, download the mods you want from the explore screen, especially MediaVPs. This is essential to run FS2 in HD. Use the gear icon to set your graphical settings, and run the MediaVPs from the home screen. if you want to play Vanilla FS2 in HD. It’s amazing.

Infinity Battlescape is an indie multiplayer space combat game with small ships and capital ships. Designed for really big battles in space and over bases on planet/moon surfaces.

Currently has a map with a gas giant and four moons I think.

Watching a stream of it and it looks really neat. Lots of potential here.

Is there more to do in this game besides combat? I want a space yacht called “The Gatsby” so I can take my rich friends on a non-stop party tour around the solar system.

So far, it looks to be entirely combat.

Really enjoying infinity: battlescape so far. The feeling of inertia and the battles going on is really cool.

However, it has a pretty obtuse interface and huge learning curve. Really needs a good youtube tutorial vid.

I would be all over I:B if it had a Mac client.

Hello my amazing friends, and welcome to another busy week of space gaming! This week, we only have one game of the week. What would you get if you mixed FTL with Gratuitous Space Battles? You’d get Corpoct, a sector-jumping roguelike in which you have no direct control over your fleet, but use cards to place items or effects on the battlefield. It’s a neat twist on the formula! I might get more videos in as I have time during the week as well. At least I do hope so. ;)

Moving on from pre-recorded content, here’s this week’s streaming schedule (please remember all times are Pacific):

• Monday - 8:00 AM-???, Freespace 2 20th anniversary stream. I’m gonna try to do the whole campaign in one day!
  • Tuesday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, EF2000 stream. 5:00 PM - Looking back at the best and worst of the last decade for the podcast!
  • Wednesday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Notia stream.
  • Thursday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Far Cry 5 stream. 5:00 PM, Din’s Legacy LAN Party broadcast.
  • Friday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, 3030 Deathwar Redux stream.

You can see all of our planned upcoming streams and events on our calendar, as always!

You can watch any of these streams on Twitch, YouTube, Mixer and Steam.

Finally, I’ve been trying to do more weekly written content on the website itself. Sunday I’ll be doing discussion topics such as wondering if Rebel Galaxy Outlaw will bring about a new era in cockpit space combat games. Mondays will be a gaming check-in where we talk about what we’ve been playing and what we hope to play, and Wednesdays will be our weekly news digests telling you about all the latest space game news, from patches to developer diaries to new releases. I do hope you’ll check it out. :)

That should do it for this coming week my wonderful friends. Thanks so much, and I hope to see y’all in a stream, chat room or forum thread! Have a great week

I am rooting for Adam and the team behind Interstellar Space: Genesis. Fans of space games that made a space game that @BrianRubin and DasTactic both recommend. Who cares if it’s another ‘inspired by MOO2’ game, MOO2 was amazing, so more amazingness to come.

Some on Steam and elsewhere gripe about the graphics. And I get it, unappealing graphics can reduce immersion. Good news, an update is on its way with a “significant overhaul of the game’s graphics.”

Agreed. Wishlisted.