Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Probably this one.

Sadly the dev suffered a serious head injury some time back and development was halted. It doesn’t look like it’s going to resume.

Shame, dev was a great guy and he was making what looked to be a great game. I hope he’s okay.

Oh shit, yeah that’s the one alright. I’m sads now.

A fairly positive review, despite some criticisms and no recommended rating.

Chorus has a demo I see.

I’m hoping to get a Chorus key, might buy it if not. The devs are great.

@BrianRubin the best top-down Elite-style game is 3030 Deathwar Redux yea?

Is there anything close, maybe with a bit better controller support (that also supports modern resolution/UI scale)?

3030 works with controller but it is kinda clunky, and it crashed last night too…

How important is controller support to you?

Essential, I’m playing the game from the couch on the TV. Hence why decent UI scale is also important. :)

3030 works pretty well in both those, but the controller is obviously hacked in. The flying is good, but conversations and most UI screens make you use an emulated mouse cursor.

It’s not that bad, but I’m interested if there’s anything else modern around.

Silent Sector might do you.

It might be a bit combat heavy but for top-down with controller support it’s better support than 3030 if I recall, though I still feel 3030 is the better game.

We did give it space game of the decade for a reason. ;)

I’d also look into a wireless keyboard and mouse for your setup, it’ll increase your options exponentially. Like Unending Galaxy for example. Basically a top-down X game, but no controller support.

I’m intrigued. Don’t think I’ve heard of that one.

Cheers I’ll give that a look!

I have a wireless couch keyboard, it’s kinda essential for driving the PC from there and getting stuff working. I don’t like using it to play stuff though. I feel I might as well sit at the desk if I’m going to do that.

Like an X game, it can be buggy and take a spell to really click, but once it does it has a bajillion options to play it, from a single freighter to a full-blown empire. It’s an impressive thing.

Hey you do you boo, just telling you your options.

They don’t make that clear on the Steam store page at all. I’d have completely overlooked it.

In related news, Star Valor looks to be shaping up nicely. I definitely have my eye on that one.

Oh yes that one is looking freaking great.

Thanks! IIRC the X games aren’t your cup of tea. What about this one? (Would you be able to tell if it scratched the same itch?)

I liked this more because you could focus on one ship and just play that way, without the X’s constant urging for you to become a space-based CEO. I just wanna be a pilot, dammit.

3030 Deathwar is amazeballs

Intrigued by this today and hoping for good things:

The way you control the body looks interesting - like a toned down QWOP IN SPACE - so hopefully the things you’re asked to do with that body are interesting.

Oh God I’m sorry to me that looks super annoying.

I dunno, the co-op mode looks like it would transform an annoying game into a hilarious drunken Saturday night game.