Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

There is basically only one Amiga emulator: WinUAE. It’s free, but the Amiga ROMs and Workbench images are not. Most convenient way to get the whole shebang preconfigured is buying Amiga Forever. But you don’t want to do that because it’s a rabbithole of nostalgia that will keep you from your real job as the vizier of space sims :)

Technically works fine for me. Too bad the actual gameplay is a boring clickfest of mundane issues. Do we really need the captain to manage a food poisoning in the cafeteria? Also, these things seem to happen every other day, breaking immersion and makes it just feel like they wanted to make it annoying and hard just for the sake of it.

Regret kickstarting, since the frustrating gameplay eats away from the potential fun that could be had with exploration and updating the large vessel.

No we don’t, that is why you delegate it to one of your officers.

I’m enjoying interstellaria so far, but the game has some problems of there being a huge galaxy with nothing in it. I might be doing something wrong, but it is seriously hard for me to find planets to land on and some of the planets i’ve landed on basically have nothing on them except a few enemies.

Unless i’m missing something, i feel like the game needs more content. To make matters worse, i dont think you can tell on the map which planets you’ve explored and which had crap on them.

Also, i feel like i’m back in homeworld 1 where i have to wait 10 minutes to mine out all of the asteroids after i finish a mission.

I’m sure you understood what I meant.

This game sounds interesting.

http://www.pcgamer.com/xo-is-a-retro-sci-fi-strategy-game-inspired-by-battlestar-galactica/

raises eyebrow Oh really? Hmmm…

That sounds like the kind of game I’ll get hyped for, buy, and then only play once because it will finally sink in that I really can’t save everybody. :(

Folks, one of the best space sims around, Independence War 2, is currently on sale for peanuts at $1.49. If you have even the remotest interest in space piracy, this is the sim to get.

http://www.bundlestars.com/store/independence-war-2-edge-of-chaos/

Once you get it, make sure to go here:

http://www.i-war2.com/downloads/category/39-particle-systems

and get the following mods:

Multimon
Location Finder (Multimod) OMG SUPER IMPORTANT
English Encyclopedia Walkthrough and Starmap Deluxe Reference Guide
Manual Countermeasures (Multimod)
No Launch Sequence
Custom Jafs

Copy the ZIP files to your mods directory in the game directory, and just enable 'em in game.

Have fun!

Is it online MP only or does it have decent SP?

It’s 99% single player. There is a multiplayer option, but it’s just arena-ish combat only. The real meat is in the single player open solar systems with dynamically generated traffic to rob. ;)

I really wish there would a sequel to i-war2. I loved this game so much when i was younger!

Did anyone try the torn stars mod?

I’ve had both these from GOG for a while now (played the first a bit) but did not think about the mod aspect (which nearly always improves a game), so awesome, cheers and ta very much mate :)

I keep meaning to but I’ve yet to get around to it. I should fix that.

Dude, the location finder mod ALONE is super fucking necessary. :)

Here is an odd ball question - are there any games, good or bad, that have a “retro-future” art style (50s/60s sci-fi movie like imagery)?

X-Com Interceptor and Space Rogue are the two that come to mind.

Does The Bureau: XCOM Declassified count?

Or the Fallout games… well, sorta.

There’s a tower defense space game based on a 50’s scifi theme, isn’t there? Unstoppable Gorg? Not sure if it counts as a true space game, though.

Oh yeah, right, that one totally does I think.

Planet 51 has that down to an art as well. Its surprisingly fun as well.