Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Thanks.

Played a ton of Lunar Flight over the weekend. It’s basically (for us old folks) Lunar Lander in 3D, and I played a bit of it a couple of years ago. The developer recently added Vive support, though. so I thought I’d give it a try in VR.

And holy cow it’s amazing. There’s a new 3d model for the cockpit which is beautiful and gives you a great view of the stark moonscape. It’s just completely immersive.

It’s a great option if you’re in the mood for a sim in VR, but want something a bit less intense in terms of controls or complexity. Definitely a bit of a learning curve, but once you figure things out and stick a few landings it’s very satisfying. Only minor caveat is that there are a few menus that you need to look at to trigger (your head is the mouse cursor, essentially), which is a bit clunky.

A great game made an an incredible one through VR.

That is awesome to hear!

Hey Brian, do you know anything about what Travis and Eric are working on now over at DD? I saw this tweet where someone asked if they would do any more games similar to Rebel Galaxy and Travis tweeted this back.

I dunno, but the other day he tweeted out this:

I mean that’s pretty cool, I like the alternate timeline where they make Rogue Squadron 4, since I did enjoy Rebel Galaxy. Haven’t seen him around here since that dropped. Perhaps he reappears once whatever this rumor is gets closer.

Yeah, that’s his personal twitter though and Travis loves to mess around with projects at home for his own amusement. He also said he had another dimensional portal for Privateer fans and tweeted the below pic. He said the portals were in his house which I think means he’s doing this just because. We’ll have to wait and see what they are doing, I guess.

They’re pretty tight-lipped over there, so I’m just as clueless as you.

It’s probably best to think of those two screenshots as… research projects, I guess.

They were both quite playable. In fact we pretty authentically replicated the first 6 to 8 hours of Privateer completely, right down to the Retros, the entire upgrade path, bartenders, guilds, jump points, the placement of the planets and nav points, and the first 6-8 star systems. And I converted a few X-Wing classic missions for fun (although the custom one from that screenshot is way more bombastic)

Also, Howard Day - http://wingsofstnazaire.com/ works with us now, and Howard is amazing.

I’m pretty jazzed for what we are making.

It will be rad.

We’ll show more once we’ve got a kickass trailer. It’s pretty darn slick right now, but there are some bits we’re pulling together that I think really belong in a trailer…

Wait, Howard Day works for you guys now?! LUCKY, he’s super awesome. Congrats to him and to you!

I do hope he’s still working on Wings, though. That thing looked potentially fun as hell.

http://i.imgur.com/uu9pmDP.gif

I wish all research projects were so fun! But, seriously, if these are things that are influences in the slightest ways? Consider me appropriately excited.

And if not? Well you have my attention anyhow. Good luck, and I anticipate the day you can share more :)

OMGOMGOMG Conquest: Frontier Wars (my favorite spacey RTS) is coming to Steam!

Thought I remembered Conquest: Frontier Wars being on GOG. It is, there is an ini change that you need to make if you are using win 8 or win 10.

'PLAYING ON WINDOWS 8/10

"there is a problem for windows 8/10 users for conquest…but thanks to the modding team of conquest ( http://cfwcommand.ucoz.co.uk/ modders fourms) we have created a fix for this!

look in your conquest game folder for “Conquest.ini” file and open it with Notepad

Next look for IRenderPipline = RendStf and change Rendstf to Rend0

save it and launch the game and have fun!"

Got that from the steam board.

Tachyon: The Fringe just hit GOG y’all!

Question for the assembled commentators: If I love the tactical battles of a 4x, with maneuvering and ship design being very important, and vast fleets of hundreds of ships, which game should I buy? Not necessarily a 4x; Endless Space disappointed me for the fixed battle results. I have SotS, but have not played it in years (so no idea about patch, upgrades, etc).

The original Gratuitous Space battles + expansions is great although it focuses on ship design & starting strategy you do not control the ships in battle.

SIns of a Solar Empire of also pretty tactical heavy and good.

(edit: scratch these two, they do not do hundreds of ships GSB does though)
Also Battle Fleet Gothic Armada is a solid tactical space game regardless of the setting.

I have also been playing some Concealed Intent but I think the jury is still out on that one.

Yeah, GSB is really the game you want. Sins Rebellion would also fit the bill, though less in the design department.

I don’t think many games have hundreds of ships, and the more ships there are, the less maneuvering and the more just sheer numbers matter, so I think your goals are contradictory. But SOTS has the best and most important (in that it heavily influences your tactics) that I’ve seen in a 4x. But you definitely won’t be fighting hundreds of ships.

You might want to take a look at Star Ruler 2, though maneuvering is not very important in that one. But design and hundreds of ships are there.

If you want hundreds/thousands of ships, currently, the only real option I can remember right now is AI War. But there’s no real ship design in that one.

And if you haven’t, you should try Distant Worlds. Combat is somewhat abstracted in terms of maneuvering, but you can do neat things with designs, and some battles can have dozens of ships, but never hundreds.

What do you mean tactical battles? You mean like in MoO? Because if so GSB is nothing like that, it’s tactical in a different way…