Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Wrong, I need more hours in a day!

Just cut out RPGs and Strategy games. That way you’ll have time for board games. If that’s not enough, cut out Supernatural.

Hey Brian, have you tried Avorion yet? If you have, what’s your opinion on it? It sure looks good to me at first glance.

I can’t belileve I only now discovered video of a Trek mod for Civ IV. Yes, IV. Anyone know if it’s worth playing?

Sure, have, Avorion is great. I’ve not had time to make a vid of it, but I’m enjoying my time with it. I love how you don’t HAVE to make a ship if you don’t want to. Also, there’s a game in there! Yay! We did an interview with the devs as well!

“It” being Stable Orbit. GMG has this on sale at the moment for $10. Is it worth getting, and how does the learning curve compare to Kerbal, which I really tried to understand but never could?

It’s still super early, but I already like it way better than Kerbal since there’s a management/financial aspect to it. Right now there’s little to do, but plenty of potential.

Thanks. Sounds like it may be worth picking up some day, but not today.

Hang on, they did just have some big update…

Oh wow, yeah, this Vector update is massive, sounds like they added much more of the game in there. If that’s the case, it’s definitely worth checking out for a tenner.

How does the learning curve compare to Kerbal?

Oh it’s so much more straightforward than Kerbal. Kerbal breaks my brain.

Is this a Kerbal like game? It’s seems like a stand alone base builder… In space…

Yeah, it’s more about building and managing a base, the people on it, the money it generates and so on than building a bunch of random shit and crashing it. ;)

Something like Startopia in a very broad, general sense?

Them’s fightn’ words! Sure blowing things up in Kerbal is fun. But when you DON’T blow things up is when it gets amazing =) I’m always on the lookout for a game that teaches me all that I learned from Kerbals, and still is entertaining after several hundred hours…

Still, Stable Orbit does look entertaining in its own right. Just not really a great comparison to Kerbals.

More like Startopia if you were outside the station. ;) Speaking of, I’m stuck in the second mission of Startopia. Don’t let ten aliens die MY ASS.

Whatevs man. Kerbal is great if you’re into it. I’m just not into it. I wanna fly the ships, not build 'em.

On a lighter note, we’re having another Jumpgate meetup this weekend, and I’d love it if y’all could join us!

Oh boy. Compared to what comes later, that’s easy. ;)

Says YOU. It’s also rough because every death is a small emotional gut punch. I’ve only played it twice, but it’s super draining each time.